Got the dreaded phone call from Comcast (250GB monthly limit exceeded)

hermanm

As far as I know, that's just a warning call...you still won't get disconnected unless you exceed the 250 GB limit 2 (or more) months in a row.

Reducing both download and upload bandwidth used by uTorrent is probably necessary to avoid the call again.

1 megabit/sec for 1 month (30 days) is ~316 GB

Even uploading torrents alone could break 250 GB in a month, but would require 24/7 activity at near-max speeds. (I'm assuming 1 megabit/sec max upload...some newer ComCast lines have 2-10 megabit/sec max upload!)

Yes, they did state that if I went over 250GB again this month, the service would be disconnected. I don't know if that means 250GB in a calendar month, or billing cycle. I also didn't ask if disconnect would occur for overage in consecutive months. If the limit is (250 gigabytes) divided by (30 days) = 101.135802 kBps, then getting 768Kbps DSL would cost less for same amount of bandwidth.

I have 2 Mbps, so just upload would be

(2 (megabits per second)) * 30 days = 632.8125 gigabytes.

Are you saying that I could be over every other month and be okay?

"Are you saying that I could be over every other month and be okay?"

In theory, yes...in practice, probably not. I think you've got to keep usage under 250 GB for 3-6 months before you're "clean" again.

You only get a call if you are over typically by a considerable amount *AND* there's congestion issues in your area.

I'd definitely be minimizing uTorrent activity during peak evening hours...as well as cutting back in general. No point running close to the line's limits if you're limited to 250 GB a month down+up!

Its a shame Comcast doesn't provide a bandwidth meter daily report on my account.

Comcast also offers Business Cable which does not have the 250GB monthly limit. Cost is slightly higher than the most expensive residential service, but I think it is basically the same technical service with faster customer service by phone.

> under 250 GB for 3-6 months before you're "clean" again.

I was told the warning on my account would be removed after six months of usage under 250GB. The upload speed is nice, but its not worth worrying about going over some arbitrary figure. If I get dropped, I'll just subscribe to an ISP that doesn't get involved in such non-sense as monthly bandwidth caps.

Archived