Disk Overloaded/Videos won't play/ no upload speed

proboller86

I have used u torrent now for quite a while and never really had this problem. My upload speed is completely erratic and i get the disk overloaded 100% it seems like every 5-10 minutes. If i open a video that has downloaded while u torrent is running, it plays for about 1 minute or so sometime shorter sometime longer but then freezes (the video not the computer). I check u torrent and it is just starting to drop the upload speed. So pretty much when the upload speed drops out i can't do anything with my computer. I can't transfer files either. I have uninstalled the devices in device manager because i thought they might have slipped into PIO mode and restarted my computer but the problem is still there. All in all the upload speed is just fluctuating from 0 to 48 constantly. It never gets any better.

It's a one year old computer running vista ultimate with 4gb ram. I tried the tings listed in your first signature and it immediatly went to disk overloaded. I was fine for half an hour while i was out but as soon i as i made one adjustment its overloaded. I just reset them all. The port is open and working fine. when the upload is maxed out like it should be i am getting 550 kb/s download speeds. I have my computer set to defrag everynight at 1:00am. there is plenty of room on the drives. BTW they are external hard drives.

I signed up to this forum just to reply to this because I'm having a similar problem. I have uTorrent but don't use it that much.

My ISP is Sky and since last night I have 0 upload speed. Nothing has changed with my setup, no new progs or anything. I ussualy get between 70-80kb/s and atm I can't even run a test on speedtest.net because my upload is at 0.004 rather than 0.768.

Ok, what's the speed of your line AND settings in uTorrent now?

External hard drives use relatively slow serial (USB2) connections. While they may be able to do 40 MB/sec linear reads or writes, while reading and writing at the same time to different places at once...they will struggle to reach a couple 100 KB/sec and get disk overload doing it!

Some USB controllers have serious driver bugs which can make this problem worse.

Having multiple USB devices connected at once can greatly reduce the speed of the fastest device.

11.5mbs download and .6mbs upload of the internet lines. i have the upload on utorrent set at x/512. When it is working normally like it should i have 48 kbs upload spped and 150kbs dowload in utorrent. which is what i have had it set on for the last year. But when the upload drops to 0kbs i get 425kbs for a while until the disk gets overloaded. Usually lasts about 2 min of high download rate, then 1min of disk overload and back to normal. Right now its normal and i am getting 275 download speeds. Is there a way to reinstall the USB drives like when the hdd gets stuck in PIO mode? Can we update the USB drivers?

is there anything else i could try in the mean time. I noticed that the usb cord on the back of the drive is bent went it connects into the back of the hard drive. Could that have anything to do with it. Don't have an extra cord to try right now.

Ok so i tried to run a video while the disk was overload on the same hdd that utorrent is using and it wouldn't load until disk overloaded cleared. Once it worked it worked fine until disk overloaded popped up again and the video froze. While it still had disk overloaded i ran a video from another hdd and my internal hdd and both worked without any problems. So that makes me think it is something to do with the one hdd. what do you think? I also tried to just transfer files between the hard drives and it takes forever and pauses and just doesn't seem right.

Archived