Why not do it like Alcohol 120%

Abbud

Hey guys..

I wondered.. Why should any downloader of this program make an agreement on not to use it to illegal things! I meen, take a look at Alcohol 120%, they just say, "this program is not made for illegal purposes. We are not responsibble for anything". I am not saying, that it will turn it to an 'underground-program' but it would make us feel much more freedom! Everything i will download anything, i think, now is it legal to download Linux, and read here and there and everywhere, and then it says Linux is freeware!

Learn from Alcohol....

It says in the End User License Agreement:

<b>By accepting this agreement or by installing µTorrent, you agree to the following µTorrent-specific terms, notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this agreement.</b>

License.

Subject to your compliance with these terms and conditions, BitTorrent, Inc. grants you a royalty-free, non-exclusive, non-transferable license to use µTorrent, solely for your personal, non-commercial purposes. BitTorrent, Inc. reserves all rights in µTorrent not expressly granted to you here.

Restrictions.

The source code, design, and structure of µTorrent are trade secrets. You will not disassemble, decompile, or reverse engineer it, in whole or in part, except to the extent expressly permitted by law. <b>You will not use µTorrent for illegal purposes. You will comply with all export laws.</b> µTorrent is licensed, not sold.

Or have i misunderstood something?

License.

...solely for your personal, non-commercial purposes.

Restrictions.

...µTorrent is licensed, not sold.

So does this mean there's NO legal way to use uTorrent in a business?

Or what exactly defines "commercial purposes"?

Or are there special hoops a business has to jump through to legally license and use uTorrent?

The main motivator for this language is we want to formally prohibit sleazy outfits from charging money for our freeware. (This is a serious problem for many companies that offer popular freeware, and more people than you'd expect get tricked like this.) We'd like people to use the free client for downloading things any way they'd like. Given the feedback, I'll gladly talk to our General Counsel about sharpening the language a bit.

Archived