Downloads with µTorrent are slow

SnappyCrunch

When downloading the torrent found at http://www.myspleen.net/details.php?id=2337 with µTorrent, my download speed hovers at around 25kb/s, and upload at around 10kb/s. When I stop the download with µTorrent, close it, open Azureus, and continue the download with Azureus, my download speed is around 200kb/s, and my upload speed is at 18kb/s (my own set cap).

Both programs are set to the same port, upload rate, upload slots per torrent, and max connections per torrent. I don't have the programs running at the same time, and I don't have any other torrents running in either program.

Can anyone explain this discrepancy? I'd like to switch to µTorrent, and I'm willing to accept a speed hit to do it, but this is a little excessive. If you want any more information, I'd be happy to provide it.

Right click and change the bandwidth allocation from Normal to High. It is possible that there is something limiting µTorrent download speeds in the code through a coding error or something. Alot of times it takes a few updates to get max speed out of a client. Remember this is only 1.1 beta. :)

µTorrent recently had a major change in its downloading/uploading bandwidth allocation, which could explain the problem. In the past, I regularly hit 500 KB/s or more using µTorrent, so if there is indeed a problem in the current releases, it will be fixed as soon as possible -- µTorrent does not compromise anything to achieve its minimalism. We will monitor this issue closely and keep you updated. Thanks for your input.

I believe I have found the problem. It is related to the chunk size that clients request from other clients. The mainstream client disconnects anyone that uses a chunksize > 16k, while uTorrent uses 32k.

I get much better upload speeds with this fix. A new beta will be out shortly.

Sorry for the double post (can't edit unless I register). I just realized all of my torrents stop downloading after about 2 minutes of activity also. Tracker reports back okay, and I'm connected to peers, but both upload and download are 0.0 kb/s.

Can you put up a screenshot of the Peers view with all columns enabled? Right click on the column header to enable the columns.

Sorry for the double post (can't edit unless I register). I just realized all of my torrents stop downloading after about 2 minutes of activity also. Tracker reports back okay, and I'm connected to peers, but both upload and download are 0.0 kb/s.

If you use NOD32 try this:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?t=65&sid=25e135536467be526246ff07bc4aa9ac

If you use NOD32 try this:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?t=65&sid=25e135536467be526246ff07bc4aa9ac

Yeah, I guess NOD32 was stopping it. As soon as I set that exclusion it worked fine.

Archived