Language

Pwnage

"Ludvig still prefers the old Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 because of its low memory foot print and fast user interface and he used it to write µTorrent entirely from scratch with the exception of a basic runtime-library functions. This explains why µTorrent is so tight and works completely independently of any shared DLL files in Windows. "

Thats from the zdnet article, i thought that it was in assembly language?

In the faq it says its programmed in c++

Actually, what's making a application running fast is not so dependent to the language as you might think. It's in fact mainly due to the programmer..

You can do fast applications in high-level languages (such c/c++ and even java/c#/python) if you just put enough effort and knowledge into it. As well as you can write slow programs in low-level languages. (but it's much harder..)

However as it is more "easy" to learn and faster-to-produce-something in high-level applicactions you are going to get a slow and and sloppy-but still working program.

Why?

Because you don't have to write your own functions, they are already made.

-You don't have to control your memory, it's done by the language (garbage collector, wink)

-You don't have to write your own custom libraries because they are included..

And so on..

But if you are skilled enough, like the µtorrent developer, you don't have to choose this. You can make write your own functions and libraries which are specialized for _your_ application. In this way you will cut down both the size and resources. All it costs is time and dedication.

This is why there is so few programs like µTorrent today - Programmers codes in quickest available way to do it, without optimizing.

Who to blame? Faster computers and the new highlevel languages.

I'm pretty sure µT's not made in VB6. (If you just make a "message box" program in VB it can frequently be bigger than µT! :lol:)

IIRC, µT does contain some assembly (you can write chunks of ASM code inline with your C++) but it's mostly in C++ - and one of the big things improving the size of the app is that ludde wrote all his own libraries, including the standard IO library I think. Also, the size of the actual executable is brought down by about 50% (that is it's double the size when decompressed) using PECompact2.

C++ is not Assembly language but C is the high level language closest to Assembly. That is why programs compiled C++ (precedor of C); is usually faster than other high level languages like Basic, C#, Pascal, etc.

Now back to the question that if uTorrent was programed with Visual Studio, I would like to ask to uTorrent's administrators and programers too. Well, I think that it seems to be programed with Visual Studio.

The proof is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">

<assemblyIdentity

version="1.0.0.0"

processorArchitecture="X86"

name="client"

type="win32"

/>

<description>uTorrent</description>

<dependency><dependentAssembly>

<assemblyIdentity

type="win32"

name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"

version="6.0.0.0"

publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"

language="*"

/>

</dependentAssembly>

</dependency>

</assembly>

I would really like to receive a reply from uTorrent's programers and/or administrators. Was Visual Studio IDE used to program uTorrent? I would like to know because I am a programmer too and I am looking for a good IDE to program applications. Please tell me!!!

C++ is not Assembly language but C is the high level language closest to Assembly. That is why programs compiled C++ (precedor of C); is usually faster than other high level languages like Basic, C#, Pascal, etc.

Now back to the question that if uTorrent was programed with Visual Studio, I would like to ask to uTorrent's administrators and programers too. Well, I think that it seems to be programed with Visual Studio.

The proof is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">

<assemblyIdentity

version="1.0.0.0"

name="client"

type="win32"

/>

<description>uTorrent</description>

<dependency><dependentAssembly>

<assemblyIdentity

type="win32"

name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"

version="6.0.0.0"

publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"

language="*"

/>

</dependentAssembly>

</dependency>

</assembly>

I would really like to receive a reply from uTorrent's programers and/or administrators. Was Visual Studio IDE used to program uTorrent? I would like to know because I am a programmer too and I am looking for a good IDE to program applications. Please tell me!!!

What do you mean? Can you just download the programming?

Visual Studio is a IDE (Integrated Development Enviroment), not a language. You can not write an application in VC++, you can only use it to type and organize code, compile it, debug and those sort of things. Others than that, it's clearly stated µTorrent is written in C++ (which is a language) and uses Windows® API (Application Programming Interface) which is a low-level widget toolkit.

Archived