Port Forwarding

grouchpunk08

If I have the firewall turned off on my wireless router, is it still necessary to forward my ports through the router? I used to be able to download at around 200-250kbps on my 3.0 mbps connection if connected well to seeds/peers, but I just got home from school, where I couldn't torrent, and I know ports on my uTorrent were played around with, and it seems now I usually get under 100. I do from time to time get the high speeds I used to always get, but not as often as I'd like. Also, The network connection indicator on the bottom bar is always changing between the yellow triangle that has the '!' in it and the green circle with the check mark in it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

It is, because the firewall you turned off is the stateful packet inspection firewall, not the firewalled state generated by the network address translation.

The network connection indicator on the bottom bar is always changing between the yellow triangle that has the '!' in it and the green circle with the check mark in it.

Bouncing between the two USUALLY means you're reachable, but given that it's not constant either you're using small swarms that have problems maintaining connections or your internet provider is interfering.

ok so I put my modem into bridge mode, and then forwarded the port through my router. Apparently my modem was slowing me down, becuase now I'm permanently with the green circle with the check mark and I'm getting good speeds on the torrent I'm downloading now. Thanks for your help guys

Archived