Firefox problem - can anyone help?

hofshi

it turns out that I didn't have luck with the TCP optimizer. TTL=64/128 didn't do the trick for me. (Even changing my ADSL modem didn't do the trick).

But the former extension that you recommended was great, and eventhough I don't use pipelining, I think that your extension really improved on my surfing speeds.

Thank you,

Hofshi.

It sounds like it, but when I do, the same problem of trying to load a page, and FF stops loading it before all the pictures are loaded, returns. If I use pipelining, I can never see the complete Skins section of the homepage. :(

it only happens on FF, on IE it loads fine.

For all you that use pipelining and make too many simultaneous connections per server, please understand what you are doing:

You're taking spots away from others trying to access the same page legitimately. It's like you're driving a tank and taking up 4 lanes of motorway and everyone else is forced into the 5th lane.

So if too many simultaneous connections are bad, how many is OK?

From http://www.mozilla.org/projects/netlib/http/pipelining-faq.html :

The HTTP/1.1 spec does not provide any guidelines on the ideal number of requests to pipeline. It does, however, suggest a limit of no more than 2 keep-alive connections per server.
Moreover, a longer pipeline can actually cause user-perceived delays if earlier requests take a long time to complete.

Hofshi, it probably isn't anything you're doing. Like I said, if you're losing the occassional packet, you would be losing more data if you had pipelining enabled, than when it isn't enabled. It's just how pipelining works. It pulls a batch of files in one request. If that one request is lost, you lose that batch of files.

I've found tweaking my TCP/IP settings with that util can affect how well pipelining works. Not always though. Just figured it was worth a shot. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. =)

-Ares

Gah, all those extensions.. :P I've used FireFTP, but it has some serious problems, I basically can't leave it running for more than 10min without it hanging and eating up all my CPU time / RAM...

As for the FasterFox/ZoomFox browsing extensions, can't say I'm a big fan of any of the browsing speed hax. :/

Ohh.. thanks Hofshi. I did do a quick search for it, but obviously not well enough lol. So had you turned pipelining on manually? Pipelining should have been off by default. Oh well, who knows, as long as it works now, right? lol

-Ares

Yeah, it works much better than before now :)

I always get all the pictures in a page, and the surf speed is better as well.

So I don't really mind the lack of pipelining, I'm very happy with the browser performance now after using your extension.

Thanks,

Hofshi.

Archived