Weird ISP throttleing

Nsomnia

My isp will throttle my connection to 2-3kbps after download from bit-torrent for an hour or so.

Then my whole connection is dialup slow. I only did it once and called them they said they saw too many connections being used and dont support peer to peer thus the system throttled me.

Im really missing bit-torrentis there anyway getting over this? I could just limit it to 1-2 connections at a time but what else can I do to hide my usage?

Nothing much really. Hiding what the connections are doesn't hide how many connections you have!

To reduce how many connections you have at once, you have to turn off extra features and reduce values in uTorrent.

Before you begin using uTorrent, you may want to try using a PROXY server to connect to the torrent tracker/s! This is something to do before beginning. There's no point in sending all the peer/seed traffic through the proxy (what "use proxy server for peer-to-peer connections" means), as it SHOULD all be encrypted anyway. I'm not good with proxies at all, as I've only used them once or twice briefly more than a year ago. Torrent tracker communications typically only occurs once every 30 minutes or hour PER tracker on each torrent you have active or scraping. And the communications usually is only a few KBs -- almost certainly less than 10 KB total each time. The latest DPI (Deep Packet Inspection) equipment that ISPs use to monitor and data-mine customer activities online DOES detect tracker connect attempts and often registers that as "BitTorrent activity", blocking/disrupting/throttling ANY ips the tracker hands back as seed/peer ip sources.

Only a complete VPN connection of everything would likely give you more hiding/stealth than ALL this -- as it would be both completely encrypted AND only a single TCP connection.

Make sure you've got your internet connection disabled BEFORE running uTorrent again!

DISABLE: UPnP, NAT-PMP, LPD, DHT (both kinds!), and Resolve IPs (right-click in PEERS window of a torrent).

Keep Peer Exchange enabled...it reuses existing peer/seed connections but only works with public torrents.

You may also want to try disabling Bandwidth Management (uTP -- UDP using peers/seeds).

Under Queueing, set max Active and downloading torrents to 2 each -- though generally you should limit it to only 1 torrent at a time.

Reduce global and per-torrent max connections to 10. Probably need at least 3-5 to work at all. :(

Set upload slots per torrent to 2.

Set total upload speed to no more than 6-10 KB/sec. If lower than 6 KB/sec, set upload slots per torrent to only 1 and only do 1 torrent at a time.

Set total download speed to no more than ~75% sustainable max download speed for your connection. Chances are, that's only about 50-100 KB/sec.

In Advanced,

Lower bt.connect_speed to only making 1 outgoing connection attempt per second. (It defaults to 20 per second!)

Lower net.max_halfopen to allowing only 1-4 unfinished outgoing connection attempts (half open connections) at the same time.

Set Encryption to FORCED and DISABLE incoming (not encrypted) legacy connections.

With your wireless line, quite likely you're firewalled by the ISP's wireless router...but if you have any unencrypted BitTorrent connections they're almost certain to spot them!

Also possibly disable Teredo (IPv6) and uTP connections.

Disabling uTP is easiest to do on v1.8.3 betas. Read here for how:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=49813

If you never activated Teredo (IPv6), good...don't -- it's IPv6 proxied over IPv4 UDP packets.

DON'T run uTorrent during peak evening hours!

That's typically from ~5 PM to ~11 PM -- more people are home from work/school and they often all try to get on the internet at once...overloading the ISP's limited bandwidth.

You can use uTorrent's Scheduler to run during odd hours -- such as starting at midnight at Limited speeds (like download max of 30 KB/sec and upload max of 3 KB/sec), turning off at 1 AM, switching to seed-only mode at 2 AM, off at 3 AM, switching to full speed at 4 AM, etc...

It's a good idea to only let uTorrent run for about 1 hour at a time, considering what's happened so far.

And alter which hours it's active from day-to-day.

Do most of your torrent activities between 1 AM and 8 AM, because that's usually the least busy hours for ISPs.

If uTorrent is active at all during the day, only let it use Limited speeds in Scheduler.

If you want to do some research, find out what port/s various popular programs use...and set uTorrent's listening port to that!

Under advanced settings, there's a few things that can be done...

net.outgoing_port and net.outgoing_max_port can be set up as a port range for uTorrent to use for outgoing connections it makes. However by default uTorrent already uses the ephemeral ports (starting at roughly 1024, counting upwards to about 5000, then restarting at 1024 again)...the same as web browsers/web surfing does. If you change net.outgoing_port, uTorrent will only use that port UNLESS it needs to make multiple connections to the same ip, then it only uses 1 additional port per duplicate. You could leave net.outgoing_port unchanged but set net.outgoing_max_port to something above 1024 but lower than 5000.

If you are certain to be firewalled, find out both your LAN and WAN (internet?) ips. Under advanced settings also...set net.bind_ip to your LAN ip address -- this tells uTorrent to use (bind itself to) your network card's LAN ip address. You can set net.outgoing_ip to your LAN ip...OR your WAN ip you get from your ISP *IF* it's between 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x

This hopefully will tell the torrent trackers you're hopelessly firewalled and not to tell other peers/seeds your real internet ip -- since they can't reach you if they try to connect to your internet ip. You may even want to intentionally firewall your connection if it's NOT and do this! (BitTorrent's listening port usually sees a LOT of incoming peer/seed connection attempts to you if you're running even somewhat-busy torrents, which is very obvious to anyone or anything monitoring your connection!)

Your uTorrent activities after this will hopefully be "unknown traffic" to 1-15 ip addresses using the TCP protocol. Download speeds will be up to 120% of the download limit you set due to uTorrent counting TORRENT parts download speeds, not everything's overheads as well. But often download speeds will be far lower -- maybe only 50% to 200% of your upload speed. Upload speed will be from 1-14 KB/sec, varying some depending on seeds/peers connected AND whether uTorrent's also trying to connect to more seeds/peers or updating the trackers at the exact same time. Quite likely upload speed will be less than 5 KB/sec if the torrent you're on has more seeds than peers.

Compared to web surfing...

Web surfing typically has a huge burst of TCP connections when you first click on a link. Each banner ad that loads from a URL that's not the same website as the main web page has to open its own TCP ip connection at the same time. Everything tries to load at once as FAST as the speed of the connection and latency allows. Usually within just a couple seconds most if not ALL of those TCP ip connections finish loading the website and disconnect. The amount of upload speed they need is usually pretty low, but may spike to 5-10 KB/sec for a second or 2.

Downloading from a website creates normally a single TCP ip connection to it, which runs as fast as the connection allows.

Uploading (typically done only heavily as a huge email attachment) also potentially runs as fast as the connection allows...but from my experience it's often considerably less -- as I was lucky to get HALF my max upload speed even with essentially no other internet activity!

• 1 year later...

IM ON RITE LINK NOW AFTER MY LAST POST,ILOOKED OVER YOUR LINKS BETTER AND CLICKED ON 3rd:ISP trottling-and then i read ur post,so should I download Utorrent CONNECTED or work ofline.ITS GONA TAKE ME AWHILE TO DO SETINGS YOU SAY TO DO,BUT I'LL TRY IF IT TAKES ME TILL DAYLIGHT,YOU DO MEAN FOR ME TO DO THIS OFFLINE DONT YOU.PRETTY STEEP FOR OLD FART LIKE ME BUT I WILL TRY TO UNDERSTND,I WILL JUST GO SLOWER.CAN I DOWNLOAD Uttorent offline?thankyou very much,Switeck,I DIDNT THINK ANYONE WAS GOING TO ANSER ME,THEN WIFE WENT TO BED AND I CHECKED AGAIN.

Archived