µTorrent 1.8.3 released

Firon

That answer doesn't make much sense, really!

When many of the peers, who are in my list, came through "peer-exchange" and peer-exchange on this Torrent is not allowed, surely it is a µTorrent issue?

Those peers should never have come in to my queue in the first place.

PS.

I have just tried to change my default setting, so µTorrent doesn't allow peer-exchange at all.

Now the filtering works. My conclusion is, that µTorrent doesn't work 100% correct regarding Torrent privacy..

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, yet another build of 1.8.3...

Why do I have to go through the install process again after replacing utorrent.exe with a newer build? I don't recall it ever being like this. The only reason I can think of is to have a higher chance of getting someone to install the Ask toolbar.

jeps96, maybe you have a peer that incorrectly sends out pex messages to you.

@rafi: The upload rate limit it ignored by default for local peers, including the upload rate limit. In your test, did you check that check-box "limit local peers"?

What I'm saying is that the main purpose of the limit that includes the TCP/IP is to not flood your modem, for local peers, the TCP/IP overhead is not going through the modem, and is allowed to exceed that limit.

Even a LAN could be overloaded by local peer transfers...It may require multiple local peers or downloading/uploading to multiple fast hard drives at once, but it can happen.

So is there any way to limit LAN speeds separately from regular internet speeds?

This becomes even more important for the oddball ISPs which give very high speeds to their WAN but slower speeds to the internet. Sadly, uTorrent probably wouldn't detect those WAN ips as "local peers"...and there's probably no way to tell it such. :(

• 2 weeks later...
Richard Choi BitTorrent Developer

Pixelated: we'll look into that one, we're getting a Vista 64 environment set up for testing.

Thanks a lot Richard. Sorry to sound so snotty, I'm just frustrated with having to have redone my settings a couple of times. I love µTorrent and appreciate all of the developers, beta testers, mods, etc... help and anyone else who's a part of making it better. Thanks.

Archived