Locally cached peers

Shambler[Bishop

When a tracker goes down in the middle of downloading, you can continue downloading so long as uTorrent is kept running, but when it's turned off you have to wait for the tracker to come back up (I think; may be wrong).

Is it possible for uTorrent to maintain a local cache of all the peers it is/has been connected to (with an expiry limit of a few days for each peer), so that it can continue downloading/seeding the torrents, even after closing and restarting the program?

uTorrent already does...but I think it only does so for public trackers/public torrents.

Private trackers don't want you connecting to ANY ips not handed out by their trackers!

(How else are they going to have the full logs to report if need be?)

"You could add peers 1-at-a-time using the add peer feature."

Yep that's what I've been doing, I saved the peer list to a text file when I made the thread :)

You mention that there will likely be a ratio discrepancy; how exactly would that work? Will my upload/download stats not be registered for that peer? (or just upload, or ?)

Uh, the peers list is cached whether or not the torrent is private. The only thing the private flag prevents is automatic discovery of new peers from sources outside of the tracker. It doesn't mean the client can't maintain its own internal list of peers.

And no, IPs not retrieved from the tracker couldn't possible mess around with tracker ratios. If tracker ratios are incorrect, then the tracker is doing something fundamentally wrong.

The peers list is cached in resume.dat. I looked directly at resume.dat after testing a torrent with the private flag set and shutting µTorrent down, and saw peers in the cache (peers6 key).

@Switeck: Sure, the tracker wouldn't know, but that doesn't screw up the tracker ratio. The other clients continue to report their total uploaded/downloaded. If you aren't announcing to the tracker, you aren't screwing up the ratio, just not updating the ratio -- and that can happen to any torrent, private or otherwise.

Archived