I open u torrent and after a while i have NAT error

periergos

I open u torrent and after a while i have a NAT error. I have read and applied the solutions already given in the forum but the problem is not solved. Everytime i open utorren i do not have the NAT error but after a while it comes to my screen. If i shut it down and open it again, it disappears again for a while....

The only thing i have not tried is to set a static IP address. My internet provider asks to set automatic properties, so i do not know if i can change into a static IP. Do you think the internet provider will not accept a static IP? I haven't tried that because it is a complex thing to do and i would like to know that the provider will let me do the changes. Can you please answer me to that?

I have checked the firewalls and everything is ok. Also i do not know how is NAT error influences my downloads. There are times i download 190kb/s and other times 3kb/s. So what problem does NAT error brings?

Thank you...

I'm assuming that you're connected to the internet through a router, which is then plugged into your modem. Your ISP can't see your local, internal IP address (which is in the format 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x, or 10.0.x.x). That's the IP address that you need to set static (either in your computer's TCP/IP settings or in your router's settings), so that your listening port is always forwarded properly to the correct local IP address (yours).

Here is a useful link for determining if your port is open or not. https://www.grc.com/x/portprobe=12345 Replace the 12345 with your listening port.

Thank you very much for replying to me so quickly td4 guy..

Yes i am connected through a router. SItecom DC202v5, i don't know if this helps you.

i went to the link that you gave me and i entered instead of 12345, the port that i found in the utorrent settings. I don't know if this is supposed to be the listening port. The status given is stealth and also unknown protocol and application...

So, i guess i will have to set a static IP address. I would like somehelp here. Can you tell me the simplest and fastest way to do it?

Thanks again

Thank you very much i did all the changes that you asked me to. I now have two questions i would please like you to answer.

1)We have 2 computers connected to the router but i only download through mine(the one i have made the changes). Do i have to set a static IP address for the other computer too?Or it has nothing to do?

2)Now with these changes what i am supposed to notice changing? a)NAT error solved and b)maybe better downloading speeds on utorrent?

Thans again

1) You should set your static IP address to a relatively high number, so that the other computer never has a chance of being assigned that number automatically (causing a conflict). For example, if your IP addresses are currently ending with .1 or .2, you should set yours to .244 or something, in order to avoid any conflict (.255 max).

2) a)Yes, your NAT error will be solved, causing b)better downloading speeds on µTorrent.

3) Regarding your internet connection: when you set your static IP address, you had to specify the DNS servers. In the future, your ISP may change these addresses. So if you ever have connectivity problems, change back to a non-static IP address and see if your DNS servers need to be changed to new addresses.

Hello there td.....

This is what i needed!!! been searching around the nat error stuff and nothing helped me at all!!

i had exactly the same, nat error showing up after a while, but after i changed my ip address to a higher number.....bingo! Network OK, and my dl speed is at a constant 15 kbs instead of a 2-3kbs. My connection is a 256kbs. Well done! and Thanks, i take my hat off too you.

Firon, i downloaded the latest beta, speed is slower around from 5kbs to 10kbs (Avg 5.0), sometimes peaks for a while at around 20 - 25kbs, but i am getting swarm information comming up now, where before it always had 0 swarm/seeds 0 swarm/connections. i'm also getting a log saying

error opening windows firewall: 0x80040154...thanks.

Hey Firon, i think that it may be running a tad slower, gives me an average of around 5.0.....but i'm giving it a go for a while and i'll see how it goes because it think the average speed isn't reliable, as i've been watching it for the last hour or so and i'm getting at least 10....yes my connection is a 256/64. i think that it could be because im not seeding any files, i've tried to seed files that i already have, but i can't work out how to do it......the beta is 417...thanks for getting back to me.

• 1 year later...

hey there!

i've been desperately looking for a solution to "port forwarding". portforwarding.com was useful, eventhough it didn't solve it all though.

My ISP gave me a Motorola Surf board SB5100 Cable Modem (not a wireless router). I recieved afterwards as a gift from my bestfriend, a Netgear MR814v2 wireless router, which is not distributed by the ISP which firstly gave me the Cable Modem, but bought somewhere in a PC store.

I connected the Netgear Router to the Motorola cable modem to go wirlessly-online. I activated a WEP codeas a security measure.

The settings of my Internet connection are set to default, i mean, when i open the properties of the TCP/IP protocol, it's set to "get automaticly an IP adress" as well as "get automaticly the DNS server adress".

When i run "cmd" i'm shown the ip adress, the subnet mask... etc alright. BUT THERE IS ONLY ONE DNS SERVER, WHICH IS IDENTICAL TO THE DEFAULT GATEWAY. i know i'm supposed to check my router's status, there i found again only one DNS server. After i type in the computer's TCP/IP settings (not in my router's IP settings) the the static IP adress (generated following the steps at portforwarding.com), the subnet mask, the Default gateway and finally the only DNS server i found at my router's status entry (leaving the alternative DNS server empty), i click ok ok ok and then... when i run the port forwarding test, it says that my port is still not open and i can't download any torrent over 10kbps on my 2048 kbps connection.

U know why is this? shall i type in all the static IP adress, subnet mask, etc. in the router's settings instead of in my computer's TCP/IP settings? shall i stop using the router and go back in time and connect with only the cable modem, and make the changes on it?

plase help me out man, i'd really appreciate your help.

thanks a lot.

Archived