Very Newbie query re Port Forwarding

fredblow

I have been using uTorrent for only a week or so.

With some assistance I sorted out the port forwarding process, and have been able to download/upload several torrents. I am connected to cable broadband, via a cable modem and D-Link router. I am also running Avira software firewall and Peerguard. I have uTorrent set up to connect via a fixed port. (Which I changed to a number within the range 20000 - 25000 after reading a recent post).

A few days ago the Port Forwarding test was quite content with my setup. Today it indicates that my chosen port is not open. I receive the same report with Peerguard and my Avira firewall disabled. Yet I am still having no problem downloading/uploading in uTorrent. (I downloaded about 250MB today)

My query is simply this - doesn't the simple fact that I am able to download via uTorrent prove that the port is open, and the Port Forwarding Test report is incorrect?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

most of the time for me, Now that I have my ports correctly forwarded, if I use the online test right when I boot up utorrent, it usually says its closed, but then soon after i connect to a seed or two i run the test again and it says open. But yeah, trust the connection icon. Green is Go lol.

Archived