stumped

Sinister32

long time lurker, first post...

i recently switched from a 1.5/192 DSL connection with verizon to a 5/512 cable connection with atlantic broadband. Since then, i have not been able to squeeze acceptable speeds from any torrents. Ive gone through the speed guides, read every speed related post i could find here and elsewhere and still no luck.

with the same torrents, using the same machine, and switching between the cable and dsl connections (before the dsl was turned off) i would see differences of 5-8k d/l with cable vs. 110+ on the dsl. Ports are definatley forwarded correctly and ive tried setting the machine to DMZ just in case. Ive tried 2 seperate routers, a SMC and a USR (the models numbers escape me atm, and im not at home to look) with the same results. cable modem is a motorola sb5120.

my d/l comp is a 3gig p4 with a gig o ram with a fresh install of xp pro with sp1. all it does is browse the web and d/l, so i doubt there's a resource issue. Ive tried all the tweaks recommended by the tcp/ip optimizer with no luck. ive tried the auto settings for xxx/512 connections, no luck. and all the speed guide recommendations with no luck. all this leads me to believe im being throttled, however uploads seem fine (usually i have it capped at 47k u/l. on speed tests it normally maxes out at 58-ish) and i can hold a steady 400+k on the open office torrent (on the cable)

any suggestions are appreciated

edit: forgot to mention ive tried every version of 1.4 up to build 412

well, after a 3rd call to abb this week i had a tech admit that they actually do throttle p2p traffic. His supervisor is supposed to call me in the morning. I suppose i may have to go crawling back to verizon if i want to continue using bt.

one thing i dont get though.. if they throttle bt traffic, why can i get decent speeds from the openoffice torrents?

Yep, cable companies are big on the idea that they are the "providers" and you are the "consumers"...you shouldn't be uploading much at all.

Since p2p is BUILT around everyone uploading, cable companies cripple that silly more often than not.

They need to be reminded they are an INTERNET service provider...not organized fraud.

Archived