How often to change forwarded port

theknave

Just a quick question, how often should I change the forwarded port I use for uTorrent? I've been monitoring my network traffic and my open port gets incoming attempts/connections at an unreal rate, even with uTorrent and all running programs closed. Of course my firewall blocks all incoming traffic to this port, but I'm not sure if this is a reason to change the number of the port every so often. I'm just curious to whether there are any benefits to changing the one I use every so often or just keeping it the same. I'm running ZoneAlarm Security Suite and in the past 5 minutes it's blocked more than 1200 incoming connections. I'm not sure if that's significant but any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

In practice if you have forwarded manually a port in the router (e.g it doesn't support UPnP or you don't want to use it), uT should work fine and you should not change the port number frequently.

I'm using the same port since for few months and no need to change it.

To avoid confusion with running programs, you can use a port in range 49152 through 65535.

Anyway I think the problem is your firewall from ZAS. You have to set it to allow in & out traffic through this port and relative to uT.

Remember ZA is very buggy with OS Vista and p2p applications. If you have Vista, you should use another firewall like free Comodo.

I'm running XP still and I'm sorry if my question got misunderstood but I was asking it because of the traffic I see hitting my forwarded port when uTorrent is CLOSED. ZoneAlarm allows me to dl/ul fine and blocks nothing when uTorrent is running ... it's just when I am not running uTorrent that I see all the activity and attempted connections to my forwarded port. No other program uses the port I have assigned to uTorrent but I get hundreds of pings an hour on it when I'm not running uTorrent. I was just wondering if this is normal. I'm assuming uTorrent closes the forwarded port when the program itself is closed and hence, all incoming traffic to that port is blocked.

Archived