dump/copy peer list [again]

joval

I appreciate DreadWingKnight's reply, and although I knew this option existed, it does not fully resolve my question/request was: how can I get the peer-list from the DHT only? a peer list from local peer discovery only? or a peer list from only one particular tracker? The full peer list is ok, but not exactly what I wanted. Getting a peer list consisting of hundreds or even thousands of entries (depending on the torrent) one cannot determine/diagnose the response from a particular tracker/LPD/DHT and see why we got the responses we got, or spot duplicates.

Also if internally you only have a "global" peer list, how does the program determine which peer to try next if there are thousands of entries? is there a priority? Could we define a particular priority? Could we prefer peers from tracker over peers from DHT? or local peers over tracker peers?

I should have made my request a bit clearer and maybe avoided my previous request from getting squashed so fast, even without the chance for a reply or clarification on my end.

µTorrent doesn't keep track of which peers came from which source. I don't see why it'd affect priority one way or another anyhow. Priority is meritocratic, and no, you can't prefer peers based on criteria outside of that. Manual peer preferencing has been rejected all too many times before because micromanaging the swarm in that manner is not as beneficial as many people seem to think.

I agree that influencing the swarm is detrimental to the torrent, but there must be a "smarter" way to choose when the peer list is way larger than the configured max_connections_per_torrent. When this is the case, wouldn't choosing "local" peers make you download/upload more data since they are "closer"? In this particular case, is choosing a random peer the best choice?

wouldn't choosing "local" peers make you download/upload more data since they are "closer"?

When your next door neighbor is on dialup and the guy half a world over has gigabit all the way to the backbone, NO.

Random peer selection is FAR FAR FAR better than any locality preferencing because of how ISPs differ from country to country.

• 1 year later...

and what about add an option? or preffered networks? trackers?

ps: if someone on the other side of the world IS having GREAT connection, it DOESN`T mean, that he would be a better seed for me. or enyone in my LOCAL network. it is about 5000 users in my network. and EVERYONE has 100mbit\s connection INSIDE local net. bu we ALL has only 120MB\s connection to the inernet. so. it is FAR. FAR! FAR!! FAR!!! SMARTER to connect to them, istread of serching some idiot on the other side of the world. no matter, if he has great connection.

HELL! if you don`t want to implent it in general, basic version, than create a plugin to add this functionality! look at download counter and THAN think again about how smart that is.

Archived