µView

skryptus

Eventually, there will be a time when the bloat added by features people don't want will exceed the bloat added by a plug-in architecture. But, that's not the strongest argument for plugins. They allow features to be added that the developers don't necessarily feel are important enough to spend time on, but may be very important to some users. A plug-in based architecture also helps to distribute the workload onto the community, it works very well for Firefox. And while having sub MB binaries is cool, it's really no different these days from multi-MB binaries as long as CPU usage and memory footprint size stays low.

Firefox often reaches 200MB of RAM in use, right now it's at 100+

Bad example to use for efficiency. Also uses more CPU than IE, unfortunately.

And the main reason why plugins aren't being added and never will be is because there's a lot of crap people add with plugins, and many would be contrary to the µTorrent ideals of being small and efficient

Firefox often reaches 200MB of RAM in use, right now it's at 100+

Bad example to use for efficiency. Also uses more CPU than IE, unfortunately.

Yeah, but even with the "bloat", you still use it over IE don't you? FX has memory leaks, but none of this is due to its support of plugins.

BTW, FX 1.5.0.1 has been released, which fixes a few of the memory leaks and other issues 1.5 had.

And the main reason why plugins aren't being added and never will be is because there's a lot of crap people add with plugins, and many would be contrary to the µTorrent ideals of being small and efficient

This argument makes no sense to me. Who cares if people bloat their apps under their own discretion? If people can add plugins, that means utorrent users can be happy and utorrent can stick to the ideals of being being small and efficient. Win win IMO.

It's not gonna happen because implementing a plug-in system will expose at least some of µTorrent's code. Stop asking for it, it's_just_not_gonna_happen. Ludde doesn't want to add a plug-in system to his client, he already said this many times. We're lucky he's releasing µTorrent for free. :/

I'm on 1.5.0.1 and it still has the same old leaks, up to 130MB right now.

I mostly use it because of the standards compliancy and a few other things (and Opera has weird quirks of its own), but I may go back to IE7 :P

And as for who cares, ludde does, the developer of this app. :P

I love Firefox but it's kind of bulky and has the problems Firon already pointed out. The plugins architecture might be nice for the people using the application but for the people programming and supporting it is a nightmare. Just read Firefox support forum. Each new version is blamed of breaking extensions (when the responsibility of updating extensions is not from them)... and it's one of the most criticized issue with this browser, not to count the numerous extensions that bring trouble to the browser operation. Not that I don't like them but sometimes it is not the best path to choose. I respect the developer decision in this case.

@hofshi: If you always prefer open source, then why are you using µTorrent? Or Windows even? (Just playing, by the way xP)

I just wanna comment about (not directed toward you, hofshi) the fact that it's really odd how a lot of people swear by a certain type of software... it doesn't make much sense to me. If an application is good, whether it's open source or not shouldn't matter. It's this kind of mindset that have people always asking the annoying question: Will this program go open source? or Will you go GPL? or something of the like...

That said, I'll get back on topic and say... why? µTorrent is already very minimal... you can hide all the information you want, and you can hide the information pane at the bottom. I don't know... whatever.

I know this is way OT, but I thought maybe some of you would like to know this.

If you are really concerned with mem usage in FX, you can add config.trim_on_minimize to your about:config and set the boolean value to true. This makes Firefox give up all but 10mb of its memory usage when minimized.

More info on other ways of trimming FX's mem usage here, but at the cost of reduced functionality.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reducing_memory_usage_%28Firefox%29

Is the high memory usage really a memory leak? The memory is released if it's needed by another application, so I'm not bothered by it.

There were some nasty mem leaks in 1.5, memory FX wouldn't give back. I had found FX was using 600mb+ on a couple of occasions. That doesn't happen now with 1.5.0.1.

Ok, when I posted this, I didn't quite explain it, didn't have time. The thing is many times, we get a file downloading, then go do something else. But, specially in the case of "important" torrents, we can't wait for it and keep checking. Seeing as µtorrent still lacks some sort of feature showing us the speeds, I'd go the extra length and have it show a summary window with some basic stuff, that's it. It's not about looking or working like Azureus, but a little more info going the user's way. And some info that doesn't get trampled by other windows is usually good, in these cases. That's why I use, for instance, a disk space watch window - keep tabs of said space at all times.

Regarding your concerns, I understand them...mostly. I'm not really asking for an adittional window even, it could be a "mode" of sorts for µtorrent.

The memory problems in Firefox are...understandable, IMO. It's a browser programmed to handle dozens of tabs, and it's not an easy job to do. Some memory leaks may arise, but it'll always be better than the ones IE has (I'm not sure if that stopped, but once upon a time, it never got the memory it lodged for a page back). Still, I use Maxthon more often, since Firefox's link-dragging-tabbed-browsing still doesn't work like I want it to, as well as some other features missing from the core/extension list.

Oh, and let's be honest - Azureus doesn't consume too much memory because of the download bars. At best, it's the other way around, since having that minimalistic view, which is enough for me, allows me to throw Azureus into the disktray.

Ultima: What I menat was: all things being equal, I prefer open source. IE7 doesn't offer anything to me that FF does not, so I prefer FF which is open source.

Even in the case of Opera which seemed to me as a bit faster and less of a memory hog, I still prefer FF for the fact that it has so many useful extensions, and for the fact that it is open source. (Those two are kind of the same advantage really)

Archived