Network problems / slowdowns with µTorrent

killerclick

Hi,

I'm not sure whether this should go into troubleshooting or in speed problems... anyway

When µTorrent has active downloads, my internet slows down to a crawl. Even a page on my web server on localhost or other home computers takes maybe 30-40 seconds to load. Loading actual internet pages is almost impossible. And the weird thing is, this problem exists no matter what speed µTorrent is uploading and downloading, whether it's 10 kilobytes per second or 300 kilobytes per second. The problem doesn't go away immediately when I shut down µTorrent, it takes maybe 30 seconds to 2 minutes for the connection to resume at normal speed... unless I uninstall and reinstall the network adapter via device manager in control panel (and that screws up my virtual machines that use the network adapter).

However normal LAN traffic is unaffected, I'm getting 100mbps to the local machines, what slows down is http and ftp on both local web servers and the internet.

Help! This is crap, I can only use µTorrent when I'm not using my computer, otherwise I have to shut it down. I have a 3mbps connection that otherwise works well.

I'm using Windows XP SP2 and µTorrent 1.8.3

Archived