Selecting Files for Download

WillyWonka

I've been a long time user of uTorrent on windows, but recently bought a mac. On the windows version, I know that after I opened a torrent on uTorrent it would prompt me to select which files I wanted to download. Somehow my new mac version of uTorrent automatically begins downloading the whole torrent without asking which files I specifically want. How can I change my preferences or something so I can use this feature again?

• 2 weeks later...

I think they misunderstood what you are saying. They are talking about after you download the files to you computer then you can go in and take out what you want. I have not found away to remove all the junk from the torrent before you import it into utorrent or onto your computer.

You can in fact choose to not download specific files.

After you've added the torrent, you'll want to click on it and Stop it immediately - before it has time to start downloading. Then choose the Files tab at the bottom of the screen, and in it select the files that you do not want to download. Then right-click (or control-click) on one of them and choose "Don't Download". You can also choose to prioritize which files get downloaded quickest from this right-click menu.

There is only one problem with this: if you did not stop the torrent at the begining, and it created and started downloading the files you did not want, you can still choose not to download them. However, if you try to delete them from the disc, uTorrent will encounter an error and will not be able to continue downloading that torrent. In order to get it to start again, you have to remove it from uTorrent and add it again. It will see the files it's gotten so far in the directory and check them, and then resume downloading. Note that you will have to again mark which ones you don't want to download if you have to remove and add the torrent again - otherwise it will just download them all again.

• 4 years later...

Not one person specified exactly with regards to MAC. I figured it after playing around for a while. Here so that any layman can do it -

1-You've to do this before you start downloading. Get the torrent / download and add it. Immediately stop it (pause it I mean, but for MAC it is just stop) so that the download doesn't proceed beyond 0%.

2-On the "View" tab above your utorrent application screen, choose "Enable details pane"

3-You will now see a details pane appear in your utorrent. You'll see 5 tabs, "General", "Tracker", "Files", "Peers", "Speed". Select "Files" tab.

4-Now you must see all the individual files inside the package listed. If you don't, then delete torrent, files and start again from step 1.

5-Once you see them individual files, select one or many by holding down Command key. Right click and choose "Do not download".

Done. Now you can see that those files selected such will have a "skip" mentioned next to them and those continuing to download a "normal" next to them.

Don't delete the skipped files in the download directory yet. It could affect your download. Once downloaded fully, and you've chosen to stop and remove the torrent from utorrent (if not seeding), then you can delete the unwanted files.

Cheers!

Archived