speed jumping to 0~1.5kB/s from avg 45-50kB/s in few secs. dunno y

optimystix

hello everyone

ive started facing speed problems recently tho its not the 1st time...

ive followed all the speed guides posted here [tho ive changed most of the settings based on the guides ive kept some of them unchanged as they did not seem to make any changes to my speed].

after doin all tat i was having decent download speed for torrents averaging 25~55kB/s download speed.

but all of a sudden for the past 3-4 says ive noticed tat speeds have gone extremely low.

its givin between 0~1.5kB/s n this has really frustrated me.ive got all UT settings checked. ive checked all firewall settings,port forwarding etc etc.

my speed plan is of 512kB/s but i get variable speeds depending on the network traffic.

speaking in terms of dl speed.at day times i used to get 25~45 while at nite it was generally in and arnd 55~60. tho now it has become 0.5kB/s on an average at all time.

on direct downloads usin IDM am gettin 45~55kB/s durin day n arnd 65kB/s at nite. so i dont think its a bandwidth issue from my isp.

m unable to understand the prob which occured all of a sudden.

no matter wat torrent i select its startin with good 15~25kB/s speeds n within few secs goin down to 0~1.5kB/s approx never to increase again.i shut down UT n restart n same thing happens.

few modifications i made that let me to higher speeds [before this current prob occurred 2 says ago] :

* Options > Preferences > Advanced options > net.max_halfopen [ive made tat 80 from 10 after applyin the patch to increase tcp accepting conn to 80 from windows default 10] as given in http://torrentfreak.com/optimize-your-BitTorrent-download-speed/

*acc to dsl test reports - port is forwarded. isp not throttled,

ul/dl speed avg : 294/329

another stats:

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Upload Connection is:: 262 Kbps about 0.3 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 32 kB/s

Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2009/06/14 - 2:47pm

Bottom Line:: 5X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 32 sec

Tested from a 579 kB file and took 18.127 seconds to complete

Upload Diagnosis:: 90% + Okay : running at 93.57 % of your hosts average (youtele.com)

U-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-L4RICFDX5

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11 [!]

*protocol encryption is enable with acceptin incoming connections

*using port 64321 [changed recently earlier usin 6883 n 29816] all of which are properly port forwarded

*max upload rate [all in conjunction with the guides] = 2kB/s

max download rate = 0

global max no of connections =500

max conn peers per torr = 250

max no of upload slots per torr = 1 with use addn upload slot for <90% up speed

above three settings have been unchanged even tho guides have asked it to lower them down.i did not make any changes to them cos i did not notice any variable changes without doin so.

these are the main setting on my UT

other than tat m usin winXp sp3

avast antivirus home edn

to repeat again : i had good speeds with the above mentioned settings for past many days. its only for past 2 days that speeds have gone drasctically down to 0~1.5 kB/s for all time whether day or nite even tho they have good no of seeds or seeds/leechers ratio and with availability of more than 100

i dont understand the prob so wud be grateful if someone helped.

also can someone explain me the importance of dowload/upload ratio. whether it has got anything to do with my download speeds. i do maintain ratio of ateast 0.1 on most of the torrents i download except some that take pathetically long time to register tat ratio owing to my sluggish net speed.

Try the 192-256 kilobit/sec upload settings from 2nd link in my signature.

You can allow 2 downloading torrents at once if you want, since that doesn't change total number of peers you upload to at once.

Do note this means making your upload speed a *LOT* higher than 2 KiloBYTES/sec global.

Your current settings were allowing too many connections at once.

1st link in my signature has a slow speed guide that may help as well...

net.max_halfopen in uTorrent should *NOT* be set nearly as high as windows max allows!

And with your line, the default of 8 was plenty.

That Torrentfreak link is 3 years old and is horribly out of date if not outright factually incorrect due to changes in BitTorrent.

Archived