Nat error, no router, no firewall

Catweazle

Hi,

I've been using Azureus for a long time and never had NAT error problems.

Now I'm experimenting with U-torrent, but whatever I do, I get a NAT error.

I don't have a router, just a Speedtouch modem. I've disabled XP's firewall and use Sygate Personal Firewall, but even if I shut that down, I still get the NAT error.

I don't have any virus scanners running.

I've tried dozens of ports but always get the reply:

"Error! Port xxxxx does not appear to be open."

I've tried several things people mentioned in other threads such as clearing all references in Windows to U-torrent and reinstalling in new directory.

The speed I get is all right, but I want to connect to as many peers as possible. Also, several trackers demand you to be connectable, or else you can't download any torrents from them.

Does anybody know what may cause my NAT error problem?

Thanks, Cat

Are you absolutely sure you're not behind a router? Go to Start -> Run, type "cmd /k ipconfig" and hit [ OK ]

Does the IP-address field lie within the ranges 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255, 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 or 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255? (Don't paste the address returned)

Edit: Listing all private ranges

Not bad at all!! I googled a bit searching "alcatel speedtouch 500", found someone helping someone else adding ports through 10.0.0.138, did the same, opened a new port and yesss!!! I'm "network OK".

Never thought this modem would be a router too!

Thanks so much for your help. I'm very very happy right now!

Whenever I read about people's problems with routers I thought myself lucky to not having one of those....

But it isn't very hard to add ports, so it's not a problem for me. :)

What I don't get is that apparently Azureus helps himself to whichever port I type in, whereas U-Torrent needs some help from me personally.

Whenever I read about people's problems with routers I thought myself lucky to not having one of those....

But it isn't very hard to add ports, so it's not a problem for me. :)

What I don't get is that apparently Azureus helps himself to whichever port I type in, whereas U-Torrent needs some help from me personally.

I quite like routers :P. Simplifies my local network outwards, adds an extra layer of security, gives me easier cable routing (although a switch could do that too of course), ...

Archived