FireFox 1.5.0.1 has been released now :)

boo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find Firefox 1.5x with say 8 or 10 tabs open uses over a 100megs of memory, ok with ver. 1x was fine. Is it my set up or others experencing the same? Very few extensions installed. Never tried it with utorrent off, that's on 24/7. I'm thinking of having a look at Opera.

If it's any program that is allowed to use alot of memory, it's the webbrowser. Beacasue if you want browse quickly then you have cache up a lot of stuff in your memory. All your pages in "Back" and "Forward" are loaded up in your memory, so you don't have to reload them and can acess them quickly when you are using these buttons.

So it's not strange that the new 1.5 version of firefox uses more memory, when one biggest changes states: "Make back and forward blazingly fast."

Think about using your browser more like playing game - it's good if uses your memory. Of course this applies to normal memory usages and not possible memory leaks that can happen with most applications.

I know we all hate browser wars, but Opera has had instant back/forward for a LOT longer than Firefox (since v7 IIRC, which came out in 2003) and it's never had this problem. Firefox does have a serious issue with memory leaks for a lot of people, and nobody seems to be able to work it out. (For me, for some reason Firefox has a "CPU leak" - after leaving it open for more than say 30mins, it starts using up ~20% CPU for no apparent reason. I use it to check my Gmail..)

Oh, and right now I have 25 tabs open and Opera's sitting on just under 50MB.

there's a CPU leak too.. i opened about 20-30 tabs with pictures and switching through the tabs was so slow and using 100% CPU.. RAM was about 200 mb (just as normal :P).. i don't consider my cpu to be slow though.. 100% cpu for a couple of seconds on p4 2,6 HT is intolerable behaviour

a little offtopic but still on the subject of max resource eating.. anybody experience any skype problems? when the pop-up for users signing in crashes the system for 3-4 seconds and i experience huge disk activity during those 3 seconds (not sure but maybe 100% cpu too).. it also crashes when a person sends me a message or tries to call me.. any skype activity crashes the PC

Archived