Bigger the File, Slower the Speed

MisterATM

Ok so i'm sure you guys get tons of people who post the exact topic that can be found 20 times on the first page but I seriously have looked for months, experimenting with uTorrent and my connection in general and I can't seem to get good speed on big downloads.

This is a screen cap of an 800mb file heavily seeded file at 1.8MB/s

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/3589/smallerfast.jpg

Now this is another file around 8Gigs, same settings heavily seeded file at 180kB/s

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/9008/bigfilelowspd.jpg

Now to start off i'm not a tech savvy guy but i've done a ton of reading to get the most out of my connection. I know your speed depends a lot on the actual people seeding, if they have a slow connection you won't be able to get high speeds but this is a consistent thing with me. No matter the amount of seeds it seems anything over 3-4 gigs never goes past 300kB/s.

I've port forwarded which did help some and also used the Vista TCP optimizer from dslreports. This is a speed test, I have Comcast high speed internet with powerboost which is advertised I think at 16MB/s but not sure.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8447/500545714.png

I'm sure you guys have answered this before but any help or pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated. I've looked at the Ultima's FAQ and conservative settings but nothing seems to help. I also have encrypted my connection for the bigger files and UNCHECKED 'Allow incoming legacy connections' since I read this helps for ISP's that throttle your speed.

If you need any other information to assist me please let me know.

You probably have 16 megabit/second down and 2 megabit/second up. SpeedBoost allows you to go faster than that for a short while (about 15 seconds to 1 minute)...which is why the speed test showed much higher.

Your pictures don't show how well your upload speed is sustained in uTorrent NOR does it show what settings you're using in uTorrent.

My upload is always higher than my DL unless the torrent i'm downloading has a vast amount more seeds to peer. My upload consistently stays at 150-300kB/s no matter the size of the torrent while my download is much higher except on the larger torrents. I avg i'd say 800kB/s-1MB/s for smaller torrents while the larger ones stay around 100kB/s for quite awhile then remain at 150kB/s-300kB/s.

As far as settings go I originally started using the speed guide xx/2Mbit but eventually switched to these since my speeds seemed to be better. I've experimented with these settings a ton.

Port: 45682 Forwarded

UPnP & NAT-PMP checked, randomize port and windows firewall unchecked. I don't use windows firewall.

Max upload rate: 2240

Max download rate: 0

Global maximum # of connections: 1890

Max # of connected peers per torrent: 2329

# of upload slots per torrent: 5

-checked Use additional upload slots if upload speed is <90%

BitTorrent tab settings are default except

Protocol Encryption Outgoing: Forced and UNCHECKED legacy connections. I only do this for the bigger torrents normally I leave legacy connections CHECKED and outgoing disabled.

Max # of active torrents: 9

Max # of downloads: 8

Seed ration set to 100%

Everything else is default. I'm willing to try anything as it makes no sense to me that I can get over 1MB/s on anything under 2gigs but can't sniff that range with the larger files.

Thanks for help in advanced Switeck.

This means you've probably done what was suggested in a YouTube "uTorrent speedup" video...which thoroughly screws up uTorrent!

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=52014

Alright i'll do that. Just strange since I was able to get excellent speed with these settings with smaller files and when I had it set to xx/2mbit the bigger torrents did the same thing.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Deleted both setting files and used the xx/2mbit setting but it's had minimum effect. This is the same 8gig torrent that I had stopped when I posted this thread. It's at 280kB/s which is better than 180kB/s but as you said this may have been during the speed boost times. It seems to stay right at 200kB/s on avg. Upload stays at 187kB/s.

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/2328/xx2mb.jpg

Is there anything else I can do to fix this problem. I'm on a DGL-4100 Broadband Gigabit Gaming Router but this computer is the only connection active when I download. I'm honestly out of ideas, i've tried reseting my modem/router, replacing my old network cables with Cat6e cables, only run firefox while utorrent is active, 1 file at a time, and tons of other things.

Again any help is appreciated. I wouldn't mind my bigger downloads hitting the 1mb/s mark but i'd be ok with 500kb/s consistently.

Even if it didn't sustain the speeds, 280 KB/sec download is considerably better than 180 KB/sec.

The problem is even when you have a very fast download...and pretty fast upload as well. On the really huge torrents, you won't get great speeds often even when there's lots of seeds simply because most of the seeds suck. Check Peers window for just how little each seed is giving you -- and notice that many if not most seeds give nothing.

Even presuming people let torrents seed for 1 day after completing, on torrents over 4 GB that may not be enough to reach 1:1 Upload-vs-Download ratio. So on such torrents, your download speed is unlikely to be more than double your upload speed.

Are you disconnecting from peers/seeds often?

Hashfails? Wasted data amounts vs total?

While probably not related to your issue, if these problems are occurring I'm sure it makes your headaches worse...

Even if it didn't sustain the speeds, 280 KB/sec download is considerably better than 180 KB/sec.

The problem is even when you have a very fast download...and pretty fast upload as well. On the really huge torrents, you won't get great speeds often even when there's lots of seeds simply because most of the seeds suck. Check Peers window for just how little each seed is giving you -- and notice that many if not most seeds give nothing.

Even presuming people let torrents seed for 1 day after completing, on torrents over 4 GB that may not be enough to reach 1:1 Upload-vs-Download ratio. So on such torrents, your download speed is unlikely to be more than double your upload speed.

Are you disconnecting from peers/seeds often?

Hashfails? Wasted data amounts vs total?

While probably not related to your issue, if these problems are occurring I'm sure it makes your headaches worse...

Actually was able to maintain seed/peer connections while downloading and I had hardly any hashfails. Torrent just finished downloading about an hour ago. To be perfectly honest the speed wasn't that bad as it did hit 600-700kb/s for a short period of time while staying between 250-350kb/s which is much better than I was getting before. Guess the 1.8mb/s spoiled me a bit :P and what your saying makes perfect sense as to why it would download slower.

Switeck you've been extremely helpful, should have came here before looking to google and youtube. Thanks again.

I'm on ComCast Cable and have 6 megabit/sec down and 1 megabit/sec up. On the very large torrents, I'm lucky to get over 150 KB/sec unless it has many very fast seeds. Since I usually have multiple torrents going at once...I'm unlikely to be giving more than 60 KB/sec upload to any single torrent I'm downloading. So 100 KB/sec down for 60 KB/sec up is good enough...someone else is footing the bill.

Archived