Having problems

deuce

Hi I have been using Utorrent for some time now and have never really had any problems.

I borrowed a PC from a friend and have tried using it, but I'm having difficulty downloading files.

I have gone through the initial guide regarding the default gateway, servers, subnet mask and IP addresses, but can't seem to get it to work any better.

I did follow a few guides on you tube and have done a few things that could be causing it to be worse.

How can I get Utorrent and my modem back to it's original form and start over again.

Also once I do this what is the best way for me to optimize Utorrent.

Many thanks.

Hi DreadWingKnight.

I will stop searching on you tube straight away.

I initially did something from a tutorial on there that made a difference, but then stopped working properly.

I will have a look through the link you sent.

Thanks very much for your help.

You have to know your connection's limitations both down and up to give uTorrent appropriate settings. My Speed Guide (2nd link in my signature) is based on your connection's max upload speed.

30-50 KiloBYTES/second download speed in uTorrent can be quite decent if you're uploading slower than 30 KB/second and there's few seeds on the torrent.

Hi DreadWingKnight.

I have gone through all the things that you suggested and it has quickened my downloading, compared to what it has been recently.

However it is still much slower than it used to be.

I am downloading one file at present and the speed is ranging from 30/50 kbps. Is this a decent speed or could I get it to go faster.

I have just looked at one that I'm doing now and the av speed is 20.8.

There are 2 seeds and 1 peer.

On my laptop I used to have 10 or more going at once with most of them having really high speeds.

I just want to make sure that I have done everything correctly

Many thanks.

If there's only 2 seeds and 1 peer connected to you, then they may not be ABLE to upload to you quickly in total. Hopefully, you can start 1 or 2 other torrents that run faster. Do note that if you're downloading faster than you're uploading...this can only occur because someone else isn't!

Hi Switeck.

Is the port forwarding a big thing when optimizing speed.

I have tried a lot of different ways, but every time I test a port, it says error.

If this will make a difference can you advise me what to do please.

Many thanks.

Hi Switeck.

There must be something wrong with the Utorrent I have downloaded.

I installed Bit torrent to compare the speeds.

I placed 8 torrents that I'd been using in Utorrent and started to download all 8.

Not one of them has a speed less than 20 and some are over 30.

Downloading the same torrents in Utorrent, I am lucky if 2 download together and if they do the speed is less than 5 kbps.

I can remember being able to download more than 10 at a time and all speeds would be great.

I've uninstalled U torrent and installed it and all my torrents are still in the list.

Does this mean it hasn't uninstalled properly.

I just want to get it back to the original settings and start again.

Also the port forwarding is a problem, I can't seem to find one that doesn't coma back as an error.

Many thanks.

uTorrent is probably being hindered by your software firewall/s. You need to remove their old rules for uTorrent and let them redetect uTorrent. Uninstalling all but one software firewall is probably a good idea too.

ALL ports will come back with an error because something else is blocking uTorrent, probably a software firewall...but also likely to be a mini-router hidden in your modem!

(You did already port forward your router ok, correct?)

Hi Switeck.

Thanks for your time in helping me.

I did do something with the modem, but can't remember what.

Can you point me in the right direction to port forward properly.

Can you also explain how I remove old rules for Utorrent.

I have installed quite a few things that could be causing problems.

I have.

AVG

Adaware, which has adware live running.

Spybot

Uniblue

Windows firewall.

Which of these should I switch off.

Many thanks.

Hi Switeck.

I disabled my firewalls and the speed did increase a bit.

I then followed all the information regarding port forwarding, but it still says that the port is not open or reachable.

Any other advice.

Many thanks.

Hi Switech.

To be honest, I'm not sure if I am forwarding the ports in the correct way, IE putting in the correct numbers.

I had just finished doing it and it seemed to go faster, but then a dialog box appeared saying that I had conflicting IP addresses.

Hi Switeck.

When the obtain an IP address automatically button is selected in the internet protocol version 4 properties I have the following numbers.

ipconfig/all

IPV4 address 192.168.1.3 (preferred)

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Default gateway 192.168.1.1

DNS server 192.168.1.1 (I only get 1 DNS server)

The figures I get on my modem are.

Connection information

IP Address 92.96.149.101

Default Gateway 195.229.252.29

Primary DNS 195.229.241.222

Secondary DNS 213.42.20.20

Local network

LAN IP Address 192.168.1.1

DHCP Enabled

DHCP Range 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254

Ethernet Connected

Can you please tell me what numbers should go where.

Many thanks.

Shrink the DHCP (dynamic LAN ip) range from 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 to more like

192.168.1.20 - 192.168.1.40

Your computer's STATIC LAN ip address *MUST* be outside the DHCP range!

...Or port forwarding won't work at all AND you may have other network issues as well. :(

Archived