Quick advice on BitTorrent features?

majax01

Hello,

I have the following unchecked:

Enable DHT Network

Enable DHT for new torrents

Enable local peer discovery

Enable Peer exchange

1/2 the people tell me to check these and the other 1/2 tell me to leave them unchecked. Security-wise, is it better to leave them unchecked? I generally only use Demonoid to get torrents.

DHT and Peer Exchange only works on public torrents. If a torrent is set up/flagged as a private torrent, DHT and Peer Exchange are disabled for that torrent.

No personal information is "leaked" -- if anything, you're leaking FAR more personal information just connecting to a website.

You in/using USA, Washington State, ComCast Cable ISP by any chance?

While you're on a torrent, your ip is shared with the tracker which hands it out to almost anyone who connects to that tracker. In theory, you could COMPLETELY block those "hostile" ips from connecting to you...but they already *GOT* your ip from the tracker/s, so it's pretty much a lost cause. Even *IF* they connected to you, they wouldn't get the full list of information that a website gets about your computer and you when you connect to them...there's also NO cookies or scripts involved.

Ok, so bottom line is that there is no harm in having the following checked:

Enable DHT Network

Enable DHT for new torrents

Enable local peer discovery

Enable Peer exchange

Also, having these checked could only benefit my upload ratio with certain sites.

Thanks for the information.

Archived