BitTorrent vs. uTorrent

BlueDragon

In the uTorrent preferences\general section, there is an option to append .!ut to all unfinished files in the download folder so that it is easier to differentiate between complete and incomplete files. Turn it off and it will remove the .!ut from all files and they will be like normal. Otherwise, you can use the bittorrent client to achieve the same effect. I find it to be quite a useful feature though.

• 1 year later...

I notice the mods/dev team members like to attack people with a problem (mostly with uTorrent not working as stable as Bittorrent) mostly blaming antivirus programs....

I have switched to the newest (as of this posting date) Bittorrent client, and stability has been restored.

I am happy for that, even if Bittorrent is based on recent uTorrent builds....

I can take that to mean that in a short while when Bittorrent is also upgraded it will also suffer stability issues of the same variety, crashing and sometimes BSOD's...

To ignore users complaints and claim it CAN'T be the current client speaks of the care for the product's quality... instead attacking other software unable to cite any particular flaw in that other software.... shame shame....

Though I did just realize that Bittorrent is based on uTorrent more recently, I can confirm that my problems went away as soon as I switched to Bittorrent.... maybe that says something about the minor differences between the two clients.

I am not trying to put down any of the devs or mods here, but I am not the only one who's problems have been solved by discontinuing use of uTorrent in favor of Bittorrent, and this inclines me to believe there is indeed a problem with uTorrent some time after it went to Version 2+ whatever.

I did not start keeping notes on it's stability until the last two updates I received. Before that I only manually updated the client, so likely missed the actual version where the troubles began.

As I stated in another posting, after scanning with the AV software and malware packages suggested, plus my own, I am certain my machine is free of adware, spyware, malware, and any viruses or rootkits.... it's only upon loading uTorrent and leaving it on download several hours that a problem is made apparent.

I run XP Pro, fully up to date and properly licensed, CoA and all....

I do only have 1GB in my laptop, but I also limit myself to no more than 2 active torrents at a time, and no more than 120 connections globally.

RAM is not the issue.

The HDD was replaced about 10 months ago and is in fine shape.... no torrent client can saturate it thanks to our telco's slow DSL speed of only 1280Kb/s DL rate.

The two BSOD's related to running uTorrent are :

Stop: 0x0000000A (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

*** Address x has base at x - filename

where filename is ATHW.sys (my wireless driver)

and :

Stop: 0x0000005C

the 5C stop is reported as happening mostly to users who try to install XP or Vista, neither of which covers my case....

My install has been perfect for over 10 months since I performed a fresh install on XP on my new HDD.

No viruses or spyware has evaded my protection.

None of my drivers have changed recently, though Microsoft did replace my audio driver with their unified cruddy driver that ruins independent use of audio jacks and disables my dial-up modem (not that I need a dial-up modem).... but that was within the first month of this install of XP.

Despite M$'s forcing me to take their UAA audio driver, at least the audio functions they have allowed me work perfectly and have not caused any issues.

If you want to take that and blame a driver that is not actually correct for my hardware, consider that uTorrent was flawless all the way up till at least version 2 was released... and Bittorrent's current client still works flawlessly.

I am still willing to give uTorrent a chance, assuming someone actually attempts to find what the cause of the error is.

I will, however, wait till the next version is released, since the current version is most certainly not stable on my, and others, systems..

I will come back to check on posts in the 2 forum areas I have posted in, and hope to read good news.

I mentioned my friends and coworkers using torrents to share our work, and we would really like to keep using the protocol thanks to it's robustness...

I really would hate to return to using the DC protocol, though we have a central server that can run a Direct Connect server daemon if it becomes necessary.

Again, don't read that as a threat.... I really would prefer if my group could use uTorrent solely.

I am sure you can understand that a stable and reliable transfer client is important to everyone, not just my group, and that people will seek what works best.

It is my sincere hope that the mods and dev team will take these complaints seriously and attempt to find and fix the problem instead of pointing fingers without even citing an actual cause.

eg: Komodo Firewall causes a BSOD when torrent traffic is initiated on high ports between 50000 and 60000 because of rules set for blocking <malware product x>.

Just blindly stating it's likely AV, Firewall, or a driver issue isn't helpful, and probably pisses off some of your customers.... especially when the advice does not cure the problem, but another product does, even one of your own company's products...

Personally I am not pissed off, I am amazed it's taken this long for something to go wrong, and I respect all of the work that has gone into improving the client.

I am trying Firefox 4, but only in the Portable Freware variety, as expected, on a thumbdrive so it does not interfere with my regular Firefox, and thankfully it contains it's own separate profile directory. I like that feature of the portable version of the beta, but I don't run it except when there is nothing else running that uses network resources.

The point being, I am seeing behavior in the FF dev team that is disappointing much the same as in uTorrent development... customer wishes being ignored in favor of buggy features replacing apparently rock solid features.

It's understood that there must be progress, but at what cost?

Please take attention in this matter to whatever is causing users to experience BSOD's which only occur while uTorrent is active and not when any other software is used instead.

Unless y'all think something else is more important... ? ? ?

Thanks for your consideration,

Eric

eg: Komodo Firewall causes a BSOD when torrent traffic is initiated on high ports between 50000 and 60000 because of rules set for blocking <malware product x>.

So µT is not faulty in this case. No application can cause BSOD, they are just a trigger. In this case, the culprit is surely the driver-filter of Comodo FW that's not able to support p2p traffic in specific conditions. And you should report this issue in Comodo's boards, they are reactive.

• 2 weeks later...
To ignore users complaints and claim it CAN'T be the current client speaks of the care for the product's quality... instead attacking other software unable to cite any particular flaw in that other software.... shame shame....

I think they did the best they could given the information that you provided. The description of your problem is very vague; no reasonable developer would respond to problem descriptions as vague as this one.

Stop: 0x0000000A (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)

Stop: 0x0000005C

the 5C stop is reported as happening mostly to users who try to install XP or Vista, neither of which covers my case....

See "STOP: 0x0000005C (parameter, parameter, parameter, parameter) HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED" at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms819234.aspx

And "STOP: 0x0000000A (parameter, parameter, parameter, parameter) IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms818787.aspx

They both indicate a driver problem. It is unlikely that an application can cause a driver to have problems such as that. Drivers are highly isolated from applications.

I am still willing to give uTorrent a chance, assuming someone actually attempts to find what the cause of the error is.

If you are serious about getting the problem fixed, then you must provide the data needed to diagnose it.

It is my sincere hope that the mods and dev team will take these complaints seriously and attempt to find and fix the problem instead of pointing fingers without even citing an actual cause.

That is a perfect description of you; pointing fingers without even citing an actual cause.

Just blindly stating it's likely AV, Firewall, or a driver issue isn't helpful, and probably pisses off some of your customers.... especially when the advice does not cure the problem, but another product does, even one of your own company's products...

Again, developers have no choice when presented with vague evidence such as you have.

• 6 months later...

Archived