increase seeder connections

richtertheo

utorrent is working fine,

but very often I load torents with for example around 100 seeders, but utorrent connects only to around 5.

connected peers are ok, near the configuration I made. Network is ok for sure, perfect NAT. max global connections settingis 500.

How can I get more seeders connected, or is this no problem?

utorrent.jpg

edit: changed picture, just rightclick and show picture

Richter, I'll explain how BitTorrent works.

Your upload speed is divided by the number of connections.

Disconnect inactive peers after 300 seconds: True.

Optimistically unchoke one peer every 10-30 seconds: True.

ML

Hi

Sorry to butt in. I'm a noob :o

When you say this do you mean you can change this in your settings?

I think its related to the way uTorrent discovers seeds.

So it gets, lets say, 100 peers (the limit chosen, lets say), and start connecting to them randomly\in-order\whatever. Now, it will keep the peers connected, and if it finds out one of them is 100% done, it will classify it as a seed. So its kinda about randomness finding more seeds then peers in the entire lump of peers obtained.

Your upload speed is divided by the number of connections.

The more connections you have, the less you upload to each connection over time. Apply this rule to every peer you are connected to and you will understand why it's a bad idea to have too many connections.

Disconnect inactive peers after 300 seconds: True.

You can disable it. You cannot reduce the interval, 300 seconds is the minimum. You can increase the interval but I suggest 600 seconds maximum.

Optimistically unchoke one peer every 10-30 seconds: True.

This is automatic and you cannot turn it off or change it. The minimum is normally 10 seconds and the maximum is normally 30 seconds.

Instead of thinking about what they can do for you, think about what you can do for them. The more you do for them, the more they will do for you in return. By reducing the number of connections, you do more for them because you upload more to each connection over time. I suggest you have as many connections as you have upload speed in kBytes/s. For example, 30kBytes/s = 30 connections (1kBytes/s per connection over time). Divide your upload speed by 5kBytes/s for upload slots. For example, 30kBytes/s / 5kBytes/s = 6 upload slots.

ML

Archived