µTorrent gets stuck updating tracker

JolietJake

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@3r1c - yep, mentioned it already, twice :)

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=425268#p425268

@Richard - it's worth a shot, but I'd think maybe it has something to do with maybe non-closing (or rather seemingly non-closing, since they're disappearing from the debug column and stay only in "statistics" window) time-outed connections?

Richard, my experience with the issue was with less than 20 torrents running to three trackers. Two trackers are https and one tracker is not. The symptoms for me were, not connectable on some torrents yet ok on others but seemed random. Also found if i closed utorrent and tried to restart, it would fail and i would then have to end process for two instances in task manager. The highest i have seen the half open is 47 (39 connecting) and yes this is running on a remote pc running xppro sp3 and all up to date.

fwiw, i think installed utorrent at 1.7.1? and since then have just replaced *.exe to update manually and since setting the net.max_halfopen to 64 (thx 3r1c) i havn't had a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I don't think that this is going to be completely helpful to you all:

I had the same problem described here and found this topic by google. I tryed everything I could to solve this, and when I gave up and tryed to open the Windows Media Player to listen to some music for relaxing, it said that my WINDOWS CALENDAR was wrong and I needed to fix it or media player would crash. So I fixed it and then I had a insight and checked utorrent. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Remember that a lot of things could crash if your windows calendar is wrong, like media player, some internet browsers and, as I proved, bittorrent clients.

I don't think that this will apply to everyone of you, because it's pretty rare that your calendar is wrong. And maybe the was that mine was VERY wrong... It's was setup to october 2099.

So that's it... That's how I fixed it. I'm using version 1.8.4 (build 16442).

Cheers!

My clock is set correctly.

Changing the time likely reset utorrents half-open timer and so let more connections through.

Windows sets the correct time via internet anyway, so you had some unusual setup if you had your clock wrong for so long and never noticed.

I didn't have the problem for a long time... I noticed it, spent like 1-2 hours giving my best to fix it and then I noticed that I was a "little" to much in the future ;)

GTHK is right. Windows fix the time and minor changes in date, mostly if the date is wrong because the time is wrong (like July 3rd 00:13h instead of July 2nd 23:58h).

If your date is too out of sync, like mine was with 2099, Windows won't even be able to correct it.

But anyway, I was just lucky that the reason that I got this problem was that simple but unfortunately the solution I used will not be helpful to all of you, but it was good that I posted it because somebody may have the same problem with the same cause and than it might be helpful to remind them to check the clock, because it's really important for many reasons like I said that it is set correctly.

Sorry guys :/

Cheers!

I'm having this issue as well. Just noticed it today. Seems a bit odd...

@Firon -- I can do this test for you. Highlight me or PM me on IRC.

I just increased my net.max_halfopen from 8 to 100. In Stats, its showing 99 (0 queued) and now seems that the trackers are updating. I'm gonna keep an eye on it and see what happens in a few hours.

Im running Windows Vista Home Premium with SP2

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently running uTorrent 1.8.4 (build 16688) [Vista Home Premium 32-bit] and I've been having this problem, too.

I wasn't going to bother posting, since everyone has already posted, but I had an interesting twist on this problem today:

I have net.max_halfopen set to 25 but when I checked why my torrents were running slowly, I had 33 half-open connections. Very odd.

I have no idea if this information will help you diagnose the problem, but I thought I should share.

Archived