Download speed not fast enough

skeletorx

I have looked for info on this everywhere. I use to have comcast and my downloads would be at about 3mbps. I have switched to Verizon now that has a maximum speed of 3mbps, but in utorrent i cant get above 300 or so kbps, i have tried everything and i can't get it to use all of my bandwidth. I know its not my ISP throttling my bandwidth cause i tested it for torrents and everything was fine. This also happens in my usenet program as well. How can i get these proigrams to use all of the my available bandwidth?

Sounds like a confusion of bandwidth/speed units.

ComCast has a burst feature which can put speeds as high as 30-38 megabits/sec briefly...so at least for 15 seconds it could reach 3 MegaBYTES/second download rates. And with the 16 DL/2 UL service, it could possibly sustain nearly 2 MegaBYTES/second for hours.

Verizon's ADSL line that's listed as 3 megabit/sec...really is getting that but not any extra...if you're downloading around 300 KiloBYTES/second. Even the fastest ADSL 2+ line has at most 24 megabit/sec download...so 3 MegaBYTES/second download rates are essentially impossible for it. The best such an ADSL 2+ line could hope to reach is maybe 2.5 MegaBYTES/second.

yeah i could sustain 2 mbps for a long time as well on comcast. So you are saying i am pooped out a luck with getting any faster speeds out of my programs. Cause when i did the bit torrent speed/isp throttle test that utorrent suggested it said i could dl at at least 2 mpbs. So is that just impossible?

300kbps = 3Mbps...

You should check it again on your ISP-webpage because all the numbers match...

If it's really 3MBps then you got yourself a nice fast connection and maybe the problem is only in the seeders.

Because getting a 300kbps definitely shows that firewall is not blocking your connection or that port isn't forwarded.

So it seems your connection really is nearly at max speed for ADSL 2+.

Perhaps it's your uTorrent settings then?

So...what settings are you using in uTorrent, as shown by Speed Guide (CTRL+G) and any advanced settings you have changed (changed settings have an * next to them).

Archived