problem with a canceled torrent

cead

Hello,

I recently installed BitTorrent 6.2 (WinXP pro SP3) and began to download a video file (a bullfight). Since the download looked like it was going to take a very long time, I subsequently removed the torrent from the list on the BitTorrent UI. Several days later, I checked the "downloads" directory on my PC and found a video file with the name of the file I had canceled earlier. I then opened the file using VLC media player and was surprised to see that it was one of my own video files that I recorded several years ago! The beginning of the video even had a short text overlay showing the name of the file I had started downloading but subsequently canceled. I then noticed that the file started to be seeded at which point I closed port 28593.

The URL of the bullfight torrent is: http://isohunt.com/download/73757149/toros.torrent

Has my PC been compromised?

If you're not the initial seeder of this torrent, so someone owned this file too and shared it instead of you.

Of course nobody here can know how this other person has been able to obtain this file.

Anyway uT is not the culprit, people can only access to files you have loaded into uT and you are sharing (it's not like Kazaa).

As far as I can tell, the BitTorrent 6.2 client I was using does not zero out or in some way alter the bits on the hard disk that it allocates at the beginning of a download. So if the torrent is deleted from the torrent list (but not the data), and the file is played back, any old video data that is within the space allotted for the canceled download will appear (I tried this using both the VLC and BS players)....Perhaps more alarmingly, the file can ultimately be seeded for upload to other peers, and they would be getting incorrect video data.

uTorrent does not seem to have this problem.

Archived