HELP.. I almost had utorrent use both of my DSL lines at once....

bigdogcoolkat

After giving up on combining my two DSL lines into one pipe i decided to have both connections run into my computer, and use one pipe for b/t downloading and the other for everything else. After binding one of the two ip's to net.bind_ip and net.outgoing_ip, i started up a test download. for the first 10 minutes everything was going as planned. the torrent was maxing out one of my 2Meg lines. after 15 minutes i noticed that the download was going at almost double the rate of the pipe's bandwidth I assigned to it. I checked the other DSL line to see if it was being used and it was. Utorrent was inadvertently using both pipes for one download. after accidentally restarting utorrent things went back to normal. Utorrent is only downloading off of one pipe again. I really want the ability to download off both connections again....

Has anyone ever run into this? Is there a way i can make that accident permanent? All ideas would be great. thank you

It's possible to run 2 copies of uTorrent at once...with each one bound to a separate WAN ip address. And have them "talk" to each other via 127.0.0.1 and whatever port they're listening on...or using your LAN ip+port of each one.

The uTorrent clients must be using stand-alone/portable settings (settings files ALL in the same folder as the utorrent.exe) plus be launched using utorrent.exe /RECOVER from a shortcut link or batch file.

The catch is...it's NOT effective to download the same thing with both at the same time. You need to have each one save the torrent to a different location AND they will often be trying to download the same parts, wasting download bandwidth. Only if the torrent is a REALLY large multi-file torrent and you set to "don't download" the files the other utorrent is getting (so neither will be trying to write to the same files at once) will that work even semi-effectively...and even that requires a little monitoring. After most/all of the files are downloaded, you might want to stop the torrent, remove the "don't download" from the completed files, and do a Force Recheck (rehashing) all the torrent...so each utorrent client knows that it has all the files.

But you can have the 2 uTorrent clients downloading different torrents just fine...when they're done they can both seed the same torrent files from a single copy of data because they're no longer trying to download/write to the same file at once.

I was only using one client. After Utorrent had consumed all of one pipe it started with the other. I wasn't getting any unusual amount of hashfails or anything else that would point to corrupted files, and or incorrect settings. for about 9 minutes and 32 seconds Utorrent was using two ip's to download one torrent

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9475:6e19:44d6:e2ad%17

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.123.2

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.123.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.2wire.net

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1004:c3fb:3874:f815%11

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.137

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Yes, it is somewhat possible for ONE uTorrent client to receive incoming connections on 1 connection but make outgoing connections on the other. BUT...that will be unreliable until uTorrent is mostly rewritten to handle multiple internet connections at once.

Archived