Fast Connection Settings Guide

antd

antd, to answer a few of your questions.

(50 connections * 10 seconds) - (10 upload slots * 10 seconds) = 400 seconds. I can't get to every peer in 300 seconds but there's a chance that I don't need to if I'm also connected to 10 seeds: I don't need to unchoke seeds. In that case, the equation is ((50 connections - 10 seeds) * 10 seconds) - (10 upload slots * 10 seconds) = 300 seconds. I can do it now.

That's the example I used in my previous post but I'll explain it further.

(50 connections * 10 seconds) 50 connections is the total connections I make. 10 seconds is the optimistic unchoke minimum interval so it takes me 10s to go through one connection. It follows that it will take me a minimum of 50*10s = 500 seconds to go through 50 connections at least once.

I only need to count inactive connections.

Since I have 10 upload slots, I don't need to count them: (50*10s) - (10*10s) = 400 seconds.

If within these 50 connections I'm connected to 10 seeds, I don't need to count them either since I don't need to unchoke them: ((50 - 10)*10s) - (10*10s) = 300 seconds.

In a case where I have 50 connections, 10 upload slots and am connected to 10 seeds, I only need 300 seconds to go through every connection with the optimistic unchoke function.

All of this for the purpose of determining the minimum value for peer.disconnect_inactive_interval. I forgot to mention that this function has another use, it allows you to disconnect inactive peers to look for peers that will trade. If you set it too short, you won't give yourself enough time to go through all peers to find out if they want to trade. Conversely, if you make too many connections, you'll end up with the same result: Not enough time.

Forgot to add something. I give 6.5kB/s per connection. A BitTorrent client is built so that it prefers to upload to peers that let it download. If you want to trade with me fairly, you only need to give me 6.5kB/s as well. Figure how many 6.5kB/s connections you need to get the download speed you want.

ML

I just don't understand your examples =(

Blame my poor math skills. *cough* economics university student, should know better *cough* =P

All of this for the purpose of determining the minimum value for peer.disconnect_inactive_interval

I still don't know what to put this value as x_x. When you say "connections" do you mean "global max connections" or "max number of connected peers per torrent"??

Figure how many 6.5kB/s connections you need to get the download speed you want.

I dont know if your being sarcastic :)... but I guess I need 100. Since I will be happy with around 600KB/s.

Finally, if you are able, can you estimate the settings I should use. My connection is 10Mbit/10Mbit.

Really, the main things I need to know is what do with the settings if the torrent has:

1. High Seeds and high Peers

2. High Peers and low Seeds

3. High Seeds and low Peers

4. Low Seeds and low Peers

I just need a general comment and suggested settings, since I guess I just don't understand BitTorrent very well. Thanks for your help everybody.

Since uTorrent doesn't allow setting upload slots globally but only per torrent, we'll work on a per torrent basis with the assumption that we run only one torrent at a time. Adjust if you run more than one torrent to maintain the same upload speed/upload slot ratio.

I'm not being sarcastic, that's how BitTorrent works. The more peers you trade with, the more peers will trade with you. Since you have a fat upload pipe, you can upload at 6.5kB/s to many many peers which will trade with you in turn. If you upload 600kB/s only to 10 peers, you'll only get back whatever these 10 peers can give you based on their own upload speed and settings. You'd be lucky finding 10 peers with the same fat upload pipe.

uTorrent has a built-in limit on upload slots (25) if you set your upload speed to unlimited but I don't think the limit kicks in if you explicitly limit your UL speed. If, for example, you wanted to get 600kB/s in a swarm full of 10kB/s connections, you'd cap your upload to 600kB/s and set 60 upload slots (60 * 10kB/s = 600kB/s). If you don't connect to that many peers, increase the number of connections until you do.

Think of trading fairly on a per connection basis.

ML

If you don't connect to that many peers, increase the number of connections until you do

Where is the number of connections? In the "number of connections menu" there are three values I can change, which one should I change to do what you said above??

Yes I just edited it but you posted earlier than expected :)

in all honesty, you can leave the connection values as is.

Hmmm, ok.

This somewhat makes me more confused. I changed my upload slots to 5 per torrent, and I have got greatly faster speeds (300-500KB/s on high seed torrents).

Now it seems Martin is saying to raise my upload slots to 60?! Am I reading this wrongly somewhere?

Edit: So from what I gather from Martin is that:

When using a highly seeded torrent, I should raise my upload slots to 60 and limit my upload to 600KB/s. This way I will get 600KB/s download??

Yes I do believe it is 10mbit half-duplex. Ok, upload cap it is... oh and another question:

When I change settings such as the upload cap how long does it take for the tracker to realise my change? Or must I manually anounce?

Thanks. :P

Hmmm... I've found out something interesting. I cannot recieve any incoming connections Eg. the incoming connections number is always 0 (since i dont have UDP)

AND

I never have any half-open connections.

What does this mean, is there a way around it somehow?

Archived