NO UPLOADS - Yet have 300-400kbs downloads and a "green" connection!?

BIgBeatz

Please can someone please help me to find out why I cannot upload? I will be downloading something at 300kbs while the upload will be at 0.1kbs, regardless of the ammount of other people downloading the torrent or where I got it from.

I am with PlusNet, and have forwarded all the ports and have made the appropriate firewall exceptions etc, so please don't tell me to read a port forwarding guide! I have exhausted every option it seems, I have tried encrypting traffic, working through a proxy, enabling/disabling upnp port mapping in both utorrent and the router, and none of these have an effect!!

The only possible thing I can think is that my ISP could be blocking uploads..but surely they would block both the uploads as well as the downloads? As I am downloading at around 350kbs overnight and uploading 0.1 to 0.2 kb!!! Its like something is almost restricting who I can connect to to upload to them.

I want to give back to the P2P community so PLEASE help me, this is not a problem for me, but everyone for the community - I don't want to be a leecher but it's not allowing me to seed, so please try and give me some good advice.

Thanks very much for any help, and no offense but please don't send me guides for noobs, I have been trying to sort this out for months and need some personal help :)

Thanks agan.

If I click onto the "Peers" section of a torrent it does show all the IPs, so I think I should be..but i'm not sure how well. It's very strange because sometimes (like 5 minutes ago) a torrent I was downloading shot up to 450kbs, and then got cut off and went down to like 10 kbs, then within a minute or so it will slowly crawl back up to around 350-450. I don't understand what is going on with it !!

I have just checked a torrent I am downloading from the Pirate Bay, and it has 170 seeders and 54 leechers, and have just noticed that I am only connected to 2 of them...

Well be more clear, whats the point in being so blank, you know you are not going to get a clear answer if you don't give a clear question. You just want to be angry at people it seems like..

"Peers column in the upper section, what's the numbers?"

Seriously what do you mean by that? I gave you the number of peers in the upper section of the page, and on the peers tab, what else can I do when your asking 4 words in a post! Come on think about it from another point of view

And those are the numbers that I have told you!! At the moment for a certain torrent I have "(0) 1" for the peers but I should have a much higher number, its a very popular torrent. However last night, I had 54 like I told you, but this never lasts long and still doesn't let me upload to people properly. Any ideas?

Yes but this is not permanant in any way, I cannot upload at all. I shouldn't have to justify myself constantly. Please listen to me when I say I cannot upload at all regardless of the peers (which are usually at a very low number!) Please give me some help, this is 100% not normal activity for utorrent.

I just responded to the post to explain the number layout in seeds and peers columns.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/07/bt_samknows_bandwidth_throttling/

"Plusnet, which is part of the BT Group and uses the same Ellacoya traffic management hardware as BT Retail, showed a the same pattern as its big brother, albeit with non-port 80 traffic restricted to about 35 per cent of normal speed."

Likely Plusnet has gotten even MORE aggressive in crippling BitTorrent traffic, in particular UPLOADS, since then.

Are the torrents you're running from a private tracker? If so, that can be explained that MOST have very few active peers...the tracker is reporting many seeds as peers (because they finish downloading very fast), so even fewer to upload to than appears.

Ok sorry buddy, thanks for your help :). Damn I hate PlusNet, they are like the "Big Brother" of the internet! They shouldn't be able to restrict what you do when you pay them £21 a month!

Yes I am using a private trackers, and they have problems, but it is also happening on Piratebay torrents, even when there are 200 seeders/200 leechers etc. I can usually only connect to one or two of them and it hardly uploads anything to them..I don't know what to do about it, have you got any ideas?

Did you try disabling Resolve IPs, DHT, Local Peer Discovery, UPnP, NAT-PMP, Teredo/IPv6 + uTP connections? (Some because they make it easier for ISPs to spot BitTorrent traffic, others because they're "too much" for marginal networking hardware and software.)

And try setting bt.connect_speed to only 1-4 outgoing connection attempts per second. The default of 20 is a dead giveaway.

More extreme ideas...and explanations...found here:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=58714

and

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=361747#p361747

(Not all of it needs to be done, and much of it doesn't apply directly in your case...)

Hello i've tried all that but i'm having no luck :(

I've just realised that i've got a green light on utorrent so I am connected, yet when I do the port checker test it says the port is not open! (I have tried various websites as well and they say the same thing!)

I have tried everything to free up my ports properly...Could it be a combination of my router/ISP? Because Plusnet provided it "free" when you sign up to them. Its could be a con so that they can further monitor and block the usuage their customers are entitled to!?

I've also setup a static IP just to let you know so it wouldn't be that..

Hi guys, this morning I was downloading a torrent from demonoid, and it (somehow) shot up to 450 and stayed there. However, I have torrents with loads of seeders from the Pirate Bay and they will not even start or connect! Why could this be? Is it something to do with my encryption or proxy settings? Or would it be plusnet blocking known public trackers?

Please help me again, I need a working torrent program! Thanks

It was on demonoid, even though it was not uploading very fast at all. But on the piratebay and torrents.ru downloads, their are either 0 seeds/0 peers or something like 0 seeds 250 (0) peers.

I have comodo firewall/defense/and anti virus. I am running the PC through an ethernet cable directly from the Belkin router, which is connected to a main family PC. I don't understand why demonoid could get 450 and a public traker (and other private trackers) are usually on zero.

I live in a detached house with only old people next door so I really doubt they would be using my connection.

The same thing happens when I turn off my firewall :(

I have just got a new laptop so I will download utorent for that, start one of the same torrents and then let you know how it works out on the lappy. That would rule out the firewall issue.

EDIT: Ah I have had a "massive breakthrough" I am now connected to 1 torrent from piratebay, I am connected to '4 out of 118' seeders, and '7 out of 299' peers. Basically i'm not connecting to other users properly (if at all).

Archived