Moving .torrent files and and content files once I'm seeding...

ryancousins

Ok, so I know this is probably a really silly question, but I'm a novice at bittorrent, but trying to not just be one of the millions of clueless leechers out there. I searched around on this forum and other sites looking for my answer but didn't find what I was looking for. I know the mac port (which I'm running) is different in some ways to the original so I think this is the best place to ask...

While I'm downloading a file using a torrent, I have the .torrent file and the content sit in my "downloads" folder in OS X. However, once I have finished downloading I would love very much to share the love and seed like crazy, but I also don't want all of these files sitting in my download folder forever. I would like to move the .torrent files into a generic torrent folder on my drive, and file away the content into my various folders, depending on whether it is a program/iso, music, movie, etc. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks for any help!

ryan

I can't remember if the seeding percentage is shown by default on uTorrent Mac, because that is one of the first things that I changed, however if you press ctrl(control)-click on the bar at the top (right click on a 2 button mouse), you can display your ratio, download speed, etc.

When a file has a ratio that you are comfortable with, or you no longer wish to see it, you can stop the torrent, then go to the download folder, and move it safely.

You can ctrl-click (right click) the torrent and remove it from the list, as well.

• 9 months later...

I have the same situation and have not been able to find an answer. Personally, I like Transmission much better because you can click on and move the files anytime within the program, even in the middle of downloading or seeding. I find this a basic need and can't believe uTorrent doesn't have it. Unfortunately, the site I belong to wants people to use uTorrent, so I deal with it.

For me, your question is still unanswered. We know how to stop torrents and remove them from uTorrent. I want to have uTorrent move the files and readjust to point to the new location (like Transmission does). I've looked for about a year now and received no help. I think uTorrent can not do this. It's not great but I get around it by downloading directly to the folder on the external disk, bypassing the Mac.

If your external disk is attached to the computer running uTorrent, change the preferences download folder to one on the external drive. This will also work with a Network Drive as long as you have it mounted before you start uTorrent. I added my NAS to the login items in my Mac's account settings so it's always mounted on my desktop and use that for storing music and videos.

Pointing uTorrent's download folder this way will also let you seed torrents that were removed from uTorrent. (even if you don't know how to create a torrent file from scratch) All you have to do is keep a folder of the torrent link files after using, instead of trashing. (I keep mine in a folder called TORRENTS COMPLETED, inside my Downloads folder. To continue downloading or seed anytime, just double click the saved torrent link file. uTorrent will check the download folder and either complete the download or seed.

Unfortunately, unlike Transmission, uTorrent will not move files and remember the new location (so my 8-12 months of fruitless posting for help say). It stinks but the download folder MUST be set to the permanent storage folder. I installed uTorrent on both my laptop and desktop because I travel. When not on my home network, I download to the MBP HD. When I return, I have to drag the media files and the torrent link files to the external drive, remove them from the MBP uTorrent copy, open uTorrent on the iMac, double click the torrent link files, wait for uTorrent to verify (takes a much longer time than Transmission) and finally, uTorrent will seed or download.

If someone replies, telling me I'm an idiot and provides a solution, we'll both be happy. It'll be the first time (I've received help, not called an idiot). Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I may be missing a point, but its simple I think. Here's what I do;

1. In Preferences>Downloads>Default download location> I have specified a folder where I keep all of my downloaded torrents (in my case i used Macintosh HD>Users>mysername>Torrents) , and it keeps them away from my mac 'downloads' folder (which I think is what you want to do?)

2. Download the .torrent file, this usually goes into the mac's 'Downloads folder

3. Double click on it to start the torrent download in uTorrent, it'll put the download into the folder you specified at point 1 above

4. This is important to understand; you don't have to worry about the .torrent file you initially downloaded, You can now safely move to the trash the .torrent file you downloaded at point 2 because when you start a torrent download by double clicking or opening the .torrent file you download into 'downloads' uTorrent automatically creates another .torrent file and puts it into

Macintosh HD>Users>mysername>Library>Application Support>uTorrent>

Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

@ChipMcK: You're an idiot. Actually read the original post. Moving the files around in Finder will cause uTorrent to not be able to find the files when you're trying to seed. It's actually a very basic function (included in Vuze and Transmission for awhile) that lets you move the files to a different location (from within the app) so that the app is aware of where the new files are. Moving the files in the Finder will cause uTorrent to say 'Files not found' and running 'Force Re-Check' will just create new files at the default download location (instead of possibly searching the hard drive for the "missing" files).

-the purring dork

• 4 months later...

This question is a few months old so maybe you have solved this already. But the solution is really easy so I'll post it if someone else needs it.

I wanted to do this today as well, since I have all my downloaded files on the internal HDD and it's filling up :) So I want to move them to an external drive but still keep seeding - without having to download each torrent file again.

1. First you have open Preferences and ensure that you have the following settings in utorrent:

* Start transfer after opening - ON (just makes it a little faster)

* Move each torrent file to trash after opening - OFF

* Default download location - Change this to the location you want to move all your files

2. Close preferences and go to "All" to view all torrents.

3. Select all torrents, right click and select "Remove from list". Now your utorrent will be completely empty without any active transfers.

4. Move all your downloaded stuff to your new location (the same as you specified in step 1).

5. Go to [user]/Library/Application Support/uTorrent.

6. Drag all those files into uTorrent.

DONE! uTorrent will take some time to check all the data but then it will start seeding. The statistics will be lost but you can probably live with that :)

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

More advanced file management functionality is available in the 1.1 Beta under Directories. We've also added move functions to the torrent list. Right click a loaded torrent and select advanced>Set download location. This will let you change the location of files without stopping the torrent, force checking etc.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you for asking the question!!! i too am a newB, and absolutely clueless. Special thanks to each and every person who provided/continues to provide a hand-up to help us newcomers. Tis very difficult to even download the proper format ~ i'm riddled with .exe files that i cannot use, and finding or refining a search to be Mac exclusive is quite a task. Thanks very much for your replies ~ and patience! http://forum.utorrent.com/img/smilies/smile.png

• 2 months later...
This question is a few months old so maybe you have solved this already. But the solution is really easy so I'll post it if someone else needs it.

I wanted to do this today as well, since I have all my downloaded files on the internal HDD and it's filling up :) So I want to move them to an external drive but still keep seeding - without having to download each torrent file again.

1. First you have open Preferences and ensure that you have the following settings in utorrent:

* Default download location - Change this to the location you want to move all your files

3. Select all torrents, right click and select "Remove from list". Now your utorrent will be completely empty without any active transfers.

4. Move all your downloaded stuff to your new location (the same as you specified in step 1).

DONE! uTorrent will take some time to check all the data but then it will start seeding. The statistics will be lost but you can probably live with that :)

Cheers

Worked for me. Thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yog... I Love you. :D

The most annoying thing for me of our stable version

was not being smart enough to overcome that absence

of any automatic thingy menu to get THIS done...

Your solution works most nicely. :cool:

I am deeply grateful. :o

• 1 month later...

Old post but I have a pretty good solution for this after many years of downloading torrents. I use KTorrent which is available for linux and mac. My Operating system is linux but I believe the interface is the same for both operating systems.

I have the torrent set to download into a torrent folder. Once the torrent starts, there is a files button on the bottom of the ktorrent screen which lists the individual files being downloaded. I right click on the files I want moved and select "move". I put the movies I have seeding into my movies folder and put the songs into a music folder, and the books into my books folder. I have over 100 torrents seeding files from 3 hard drives and 4 or 5 different folders on each hd. Files can be moved before downloading, while downloading or while seeding. There is a default download folder where every torrent starts from but after starting there it can be moved easier than any other torrent client I've ever used.

KTorrent also has an ip blocker build in that just needs to be enabled or its on by default (I cant remember) and scheduling. Hope this helps others looking to move torrent files around while there seeding or downloading. You dont have to worry about stopping the torrents, removing torrents, moving files, restarting torrents from new location, etc. I do use utorrent when on windows machine only because windows doesn't have Ktorrent.

Good luck and happy torrenting (give it a try and tell me what you think)

Cheers

Very clear and very useful thank you. Worked perfectly

Okay! After a really really long time, I've figured this one out. The time it takes to have uTorrent catch up to moved files is out of proportion to the task. Hopefully this could be fixed in future. Using this thread and the one from member NOHAALA at this link - http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=558802#p558802 - here is what worked for me. I'm using uTorrent for a private site that has banned Transmission, which is a much easier interface.

N.B. This is invaluable if you have done or are considering doing any kind of hard drive upgrade, system wipe, major clean up etc., hence my inclusion of the above thread. I'm about to upgrade my HD and am glad I now know what to do.

From member NOHAALA- (thanks!)

1) From the uTorrent app support folder, backup all (9 or 10) ".dat" and ".dat.old" files by copying into a separate folder.

2) In the uTorrent app support folder, delete "resume.dat" and "resume.dat.old".

3) Open uTorrent. All torrents will be gone from the window now.

4) On the preferences menu, change the default download location to wherever your uTorrent download folder is currently located.

5) Close uTorrent. If you look in the uTorrent app support folder, there should be a new "resume.dat" and "resume.dat.old".

6) Open uTorrent. Now add the original torrent files back to the program (open torrent.. or drag and drop). Now you can right-click the torrent and select "Force Re-Check". The file should be read back into the system and updated to its proper download status (i.e. Complete).

All of this worked fine for me except that I realized that uTorrent would not download files to a folder on my external hard drive. It only recognized the larger hard drive. In other words, the folder I carefully created and labelled and sorted and organized for torrents from a particular private site, was not remembered or found by uTorrent. Don't know why, as it will find sub-folders on my MBP HD. Once I figured this out, it was easy to wipe the .dat etc files, re-load the torrents and start fresh. You just have to get uTorrent to forget the instructions it writes itself in those .dat files. It's too clever by far...

THIS IS ALL FOR MAC OSX!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Yogi...

all this did for me was move all my torrented files into the trash and separate them all so they aren't organized in folders anymore. I just have a big folder of mp3s and various other documents for about 90 downloads all disorganized without their original folders. I think i chose "remove all files" by mistake...

Is there any way i can recover from this? I barely seeded a majority of them. I don't know what the folder name they were downloaded under so i can't remake every folder.

• 2 months later...

Too much complications..

1) Stop the torrent file, for which you want to move files.

2) Right click the torrent and select Advanced > Set Download Location

3) Choose the location of the files.

4) You'll be asked if you're sure you want to overwrite files? Say yes. (Files will stay there, don't worry!)

5) Then right click the torrent again and select Force Re-check.

6) You can now start the torrent again.

• 1 month later...

I think it is very easy to do

1. Stop the torrent [ button is on top panel, 7th button from left, a maroon square]

2.Right click on the torrent and click on "Advanced" > "Set Download Location"

3.Move the file to the desired location

4. Force re check (by right clicking on the torrent)

5. After checking is done, you can restart the torrent

WARNING: It is better if you keep a separate copy of the file at a different location before you try this method for the first time. What happens is that if you do step 3 before step 2, then uTorrent will tell you that there is already a file in that directory with same name, do you want to replace it? And if you accidentally click on yes then your hard-earned download will be gone!

I hope this helps all

:cool:

This question was originally posted more than 2 years ago, but I see that in uTorrent Mac 1.5.13 (which is what I am using) the issue is still not resolved, so I'll share what I did, which has been successful:

I should state that posters in this thread are discussing at least two different issues, and I will be addressing the original question. That is, how to have uTorrent Mac keep the torrent metafiles in one place, and not leave them scattered about (especially not in the main Downloads folder after you are done downloading the data files). Also, this was done on uTorrent Mac 1.5.13 on a Mac with Lion 10.7.3 and may behave differently on other installations.

In uTorrent Mac preferences, select the "Directories" pane, then:

1) Location of Downloaded Files: Put New Downloads in: <folder> (select your choice)

2) Leave the box "Move Completed Downloads To" unchecked

3) For "Location of Torrents: Store .torrents in", select the uTorrent folder in your ~/Library/Application Support folder, having first checked the box

4) Leave "Move .torrents for finished jobs to:" unchecked

5) Check the box for "Automatically load .torrents from," and select your ~/Downloads folder

6) Check the box beneath #5, "Delete loaded .torrents"

The result of this will be a) that newly downloaded .torrent metafiles (or local .torrent files located elsewhere on your drive{s} that you now double-click, cmd-O, or load by choosing "open torrent" from the uTorrent 'File' menu) will go into your ~/Library/Application Support/uTorrent folder B) the videos, music, software, and other files you are actually downloading will go into the folder you specify, c) both will stay in that location until you manually move them. No "extra" .torrent files will exist anywhere (though initially, a copy may be found in the Trash). and d) Seeding will resume between sessions/launches of uTorrent/reboots flawlessly. You will need to leave the .torrent files and the downloaded data files in the ~/Library/Application Support/uTorrent folder for the duration, if you want to continue seeding. You can copy them to another location within the same volume/partition if you need to by <option>-dragging to the desired location (or use the sequence cmd-C/cmd-V). This is what I needed, and what I understood the original poster wanted to do.

If I understood the problem correctly, this should fix it. My original problem was that in moving from Snow Leo to Lion, and to version 1.5.13 from 1.0.3, when I downloaded a new .torrent (the metafile, as distinguished from the target data file uTorrent downloads from peers) it would spawn copies of the metafile all over: in the App Support folder, in the Downloads folder, and other places depending on my preferences. It would also have unpredictable behavior with where the data files were placed, resultig in uTorrent frequently throwing errors when I relaunched it, and was sometimes unable to find either the metafile or the data files, even after a forced recheck and re-choosing the download location on the individual torrent. The above settings will cause uTorrent to keep the .torrent file in the uTorrent folder of the App Support folder during download and thereafter while seeding, until you select "remove .torrent file" or "remove all files". This should make your life easier, and if you need to manually move things from one machine to another, as long as the preferences are set the same on the second machine, this approach should require just a move of the uTorrent App Support folder (or just the .torrent files) from one machine to the other, and also (if needed) the data files themselves from whichever folder you selected above (in my case, a sub-folder within the main Downloads folder).

• 2 months later...

hi believe it or not, i did not understand even one word what other people said (cuz i dnt speak intrntional language :D :D) well i have the same i bought 60 GB SSD lose my 320 GB internal HD, then i bought 2TB external HD, infact i cant plug in my extHD all the time with computer , and i can only save my torrent fies on extHD,

well what i do to transfer torrent files from one to another, >

1.copy the torrent data suppose it is a movie, copy the data to external HD

2.then remove the torrent file from utorrent >right click on torrent file > click remove

3.change the directory in utorrent > options > preferance > directories

3.then double click on the first torrent file that you have downloaded from website, like you do to start the downloading first time,

very simple

mount/unmount HDD if necessary

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived