Moving .torrent files and and content files once I'm seeding...

ryancousins

Okay! After a really really long time, I've figured this one out. The time it takes to have uTorrent catch up to moved files is out of proportion to the task. Hopefully this could be fixed in future. Using this thread and the one from member NOHAALA at this link - http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=558802#p558802 - here is what worked for me. I'm using uTorrent for a private site that has banned Transmission, which is a much easier interface.

N.B. This is invaluable if you have done or are considering doing any kind of hard drive upgrade, system wipe, major clean up etc., hence my inclusion of the above thread. I'm about to upgrade my HD and am glad I now know what to do.

From member NOHAALA- (thanks!)

1) From the uTorrent app support folder, backup all (9 or 10) ".dat" and ".dat.old" files by copying into a separate folder.

2) In the uTorrent app support folder, delete "resume.dat" and "resume.dat.old".

3) Open uTorrent. All torrents will be gone from the window now.

4) On the preferences menu, change the default download location to wherever your uTorrent download folder is currently located.

5) Close uTorrent. If you look in the uTorrent app support folder, there should be a new "resume.dat" and "resume.dat.old".

6) Open uTorrent. Now add the original torrent files back to the program (open torrent.. or drag and drop). Now you can right-click the torrent and select "Force Re-Check". The file should be read back into the system and updated to its proper download status (i.e. Complete).

All of this worked fine for me except that I realized that uTorrent would not download files to a folder on my external hard drive. It only recognized the larger hard drive. In other words, the folder I carefully created and labelled and sorted and organized for torrents from a particular private site, was not remembered or found by uTorrent. Don't know why, as it will find sub-folders on my MBP HD. Once I figured this out, it was easy to wipe the .dat etc files, re-load the torrents and start fresh. You just have to get uTorrent to forget the instructions it writes itself in those .dat files. It's too clever by far...

THIS IS ALL FOR MAC OSX!

This is the one that worked for me. The one thing that I want to add is that Utorrent will still ask if you want to download the files again and do some kind of space allocation based on what you already have on your computer and what Utorrent thinks it is about to download (again). Just click "Yes" because the torrent will then follow with a re-check of the files you already have. Let me spell this out with an example since I spent a lot of time worrying about my partially downloaded files getting deleted.

I had 76GB (only 11% completed on a Macbook Pro) but needed to move that stuff to a desktop since the desktop has more space and a faster internet connection. When I followed the steps quoted above, Utorrent asked me if I wanted to download the 76GB. I checked Yes. Then Utorrent said I only had 6GB of free space since the program has already allocated 76GB for my torrent. I checked to download anyway. Then under Status Utorrent shows an escalating percentage that ran very slowly, but what I can expect with 76GB. As the percentage checked increased so did the percentage of Done. So this seems to have worked.

• 1 month later...

Archived