downloading whilst using internet browser and/or online gaming

runLoganrun

when i am running utorrent, no matter what speed, internet slows down a lot, and for my roommate even more so. i'm directly connected to router, but roommate also has hard line to it. router is linksys wrt54gl.

when i am running utorrent, WoW becomes unplayable for my roommate, even if i throttle down the d/l speed considerably. if i turn utorrent on, for just a few minutes, he has no gameplay, or limited, for like 1/2 hour.

Is there a way to tweak anything to make this better? i was wondering if the router could allocate bandwidth more specifically, or what settings in utorrent would have an effect. I thought that just lowering the d/l speed, and u/l speed would help, as it has in the past with just me, and internet use, but it doesn't seem to matter. we have an 8/2 connection (cable internet has lame u/l speeds), and i lowered the d/l speed to something really low, like 200kbps, and set the u/l speed to 125, but it behaves just the same as if it were running full tilt, like right now i'm at 1.01mBps d/l speed. it seems like their should be enough bandwidth to go around, if i lowered that.

thanks for any help,

rlr

thanks, but no thanks,

first of all that only addressed part of my problem, the slow internet speeds, and after re-adjusting all my settings yielded nil, same results.

secondly there was no mention of online games anywhere, and what i changed (everything) did not affect that whatsoever, so all in all, big waste of time, and now i have to redo everything to the way it was, for now.

I've been sent to that link before, if people are going to post on the forums, some thought should be put into it, or don't bother, like just posting a general link, for example that doesn't really address the question is useless and frustrating, and there's all kinds of material to wade through, when i suspect the answer is much more simple.

so, still could use some assistance if anyone has the time, i'd appreciate it.

rlr

You may only be getting 1 megabit/sec upload speed sustained from ComCast, despite assurances to the contrary. That's only about 100-120 KiloBYTES/second usable upload speed...

Do test uTorrent's upload speeds on some busy torrents that needs more seeds. If you can upload stably at ~200-250 KiloBYTES/second for more than 5 minutes, then you really DO have 2 megabit/second upload speed.

Unless you replaced the router's firmware software with a 3rd party firmware, it is a horribly BAD router! Find just HOW bad on the chart here:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_chart/Itemid,189/chart,124/

No, it's not a horribly bad router. Its default firmware is horrible -- the router is perfectly fine.

I've been sent to that link before, if people are going to post on the forums, some thought should be put into it, or don't bother, like just posting a general link, for example that doesn't really address the question is useless and frustrating, and there's all kinds of material to wade through, when i suspect the answer is much more simple.

Don't tell us you read the link; show us. It clearly states all over the link that if nothing in it helps, you should provide the requested information -- yet, most of it is nowhere to be found here.

Archived