Can I hide my downloads from my ISP?

Is it possible to hide what I am downloading on Utorrent from my ISP? I believe Utorrent had a 'use encryption' option at one point, though I can no longer find the option with my current version. However I don't know if this was for avoiding shaping by ISPs or to avoid detection.

The transfer isn't slowed. The process of encoding/decoding adds a little bit of computational (not network bandwidth) overhead, but only very slightly (probably not noticeable by anyone but those on the slowest of computers).

Edit: To clarify, there is a bit of additional handshake overhead incurred by using encryption, but it should only happen when you connect to a peer, so it shouldn't really add up to much in the grand scheme of things.

• 2 years later...
Is it possible to hide what I am downloading on Utorrent from my ISP? I believe Utorrent had a 'use encryption' option at one point, though I can no longer find the option with my current version. However I don't know if this was for avoiding shaping by ISPs or to avoid detection.

Did anyone ever answer your question? Can you hide your downloads from ISP? I have been warned by my ISP for uploads which I know all about, my seeding was by accident and I seeded 15 gig overnight. So if I cant share with uTorrent with my current ISP without being banned is there a way to hide from my ISP period? Not just uTorrent, all my traffic? I know I'm not asking in the right thread but you seem to be interested in the same thing I am and I thought you might have figured something out that my research did not. Thanks in Advanced, I know how thin skinned these guys are in here talking to a newbie. I am just looking for advice no criticism or ridicule, I know where I am, so I do thank you if you volunteer any info.:D

Archived