Can't seed over 200 torrents

sradz113

Basically when I get to 200 or so torrents (maybe 205) on my desktop, I can't seed them or else I'm unable to have anything downloading. And they rarely will seed correctly at all. I was wondering if I limit the amount of active torrents (say I have 200 seeding, but 150 are queued) would it make those that are queued start seeding when someone tries to get those files and then queue one of the "seeding" but not really seeding torrent? Thanks

I should also add, when I have this many torrents going, or I even pause half/all the seeding ones, my downloads cap out around 120kb/s when I can easily dl at 1.3mb/s and there are TONS of seeders on the stuff I'm gettin so no that isn't the problem lol

well rarely are more than 2 or 3 of them truly active..i have a 12MB/1.2MB connection, so I dl at the most about 1.3mb/s and upload about 100kb/s or so.. the connection is fine still, browsing etc. and my laptop is constantly seeding over 300 no problem, it's not like that many are active, maybe 4-5 torrents are actually active at the max when i'm downloading stuff lol.

I should also add that I am never listed as connectable on tracker sites, and I can't seem to figure out how to get my port forwarding to work or something. I have the port forwarded in my router settings, don't have any firewalls not even windows, no norton nothing, can't get it to work at all, always listed as not connectable and I can NEVER get the port to come up as forwarded. Been using PFPortChecker to test.

Each active torrent needs ~3 KiloBYTES/second minimum PER upload slot.

So if you have 100 KiloBYTES/second ...that would only be about 10 active torrents with 3 upload slots each. (My Speed Guide chart assumes only a couple torrents reach their max upload slots limit...and counts on uTorrent auto-limiting upload slots lower if that's not the case.)

Did you port forward your modem?

how do I go about port forwarding the modem itself? If that is the case no lol I have not. Also, ur saying even if a torrent is "active" but doing nothing but checkin in with the tracker ever 15 minutes it is using 3kb/s? are u sure?, If that were the case I'd be using like 600kb/s+ upload bandwidth like constantly and wouldn't even be able to browse on my connection, which I can still do quite speedily.

No, I mean any torrent that's actively uploading needs 3 KiloBYTES/second upload speed PER upload slot that it's using.

A torrent that's started but has no peers/seeds is effectively inactive. Still may waste some bandwidth contacting the tracker AND having lots of seeds connect-and-drop, assuming you're seeding.

yea basically I have 200 torrents that are never actually doing anything but contacting the tracker lol, I may upload like 50 megs in a week lol, maybe a little more, maybe a little less. Also, how would I go about port forwarding my modem? I don't really know how to access it via a browser or anything due to it being provided by my ISP. Thanks - Seth

It's a Versa VX-Ver170M DSL modem, my connection is 12Mbit/1.2Mbit as I said earlier -DSL, I left that out- , but as far as I know you don't need to port forward modems (not even sure if you're able to unless they have a built in router) and if you can I have absolutely no clue how to go about doing so. I've just kinda always been resigned to the fact that my ISP probably blocks like every port they possibly can, but I don't know if that is true, I've just kinda assumed it cause I could never figure out what was going on lol

Edit: oh and my modem connects to a Netgear 834bv2 (maybe missing a few letters at the beginning but the rest are unique enough), with the newest firmware 2.1.13 I think off the top of my head, aaand as far as I can tell the router isn't the problem (I've tried a billion different options and correctly done the port forwarding a billion times, following portforward.com's instructions for my specific router).

Naw as I said it's just a modem.. I had one of those silly combos but it went haywire and they replaced it with a simple modem, and I looked at the manual a day or two ago and basically it didn't help me at all cause to access it it says admin/admin is the combo which didn't work and I know my ISP changed that and no amount of resetting to factory defaults will help. I even went as far as e-mailing versa and they said if the ISP provided it they probably have their own settings defaulted and I have to talk to them. When I called my ISP they were just like No, you can't have that information. lol sooo oh well I guess. Thanks for the help though. As for the modem itself being on portforward i never even looked because I couldn't access the config page which really ticks me off. Oh well. I think my ISP is on to torrents cuz they seem to cap my speeds or sooomething on torrenting fairly well, it's probably something like when a specific mac address is the cause of too many incoming and outgoing connections it just limits it or something i have no idea lol.

Edit: Ok kinda back to square one. I had my computer just plugged directly into the modem instead of it going to the internet port of my router, and after a few minutes the icon in utorrent turned green meaning I was receiving incoming connections. A friend of mine said who cares what portforward etc say, if that goes green i'm connectable because that means utorrent is actually doing it. I checked my stats at the time and I had around 400 incoming and outgoing conns each since launch and it was all good. Plugged my router back in and now it's up to 4400 outgoing, 27 incoming and it's still the little orange/yellow triangle. So i'm back to assuming it is my actual router which baaaaaaaffles me because i have the most up to day firmware and I've checked all the settings correctly tried upnp (with it checked in utorrent and my router) and just plain port forwarding and I can't seem to be connectable with this damn router. I've disabled like every feature, QOS or something, some media preference garbage, all to no avail.

funny thing, i've also noticed if my port is ever over say 59000 the icon is red, and those ports are blocked or something...

enabled uPnP logging, here are the results after a few minutes..

[2009-07-31 23:27:11] UPnP: Device error "http://192.168.1.1:56048/": (-2)

[2009-07-31 23:27:13] UPnP: Could not map UPnP Port on this pass, retrying.

[2009-07-31 23:27:17] UPnP: Device error "http://192.168.1.1:56048/": (-2)

[2009-07-31 23:27:19] UPnP: Could not map UPnP Port on this pass, retrying.

[2009-07-31 23:27:25] UPnP: Device error "http://192.168.1.1:56048/": (-2)

[2009-07-31 23:27:25] UPnP: Could not map UPnP Port on this pass, retrying.

[2009-07-31 23:27:30] UPnP: Device error "http://192.168.1.1:56048/": (-2)

[2009-07-31 23:27:31] UPnP: Unable to map port 192.168.1.5:35862 with UPnP.

Em.. new tactic. Using WinXP? While directly connected, Start > Run > then copy and paste this exactly into the box, post what you get.

cmd /k ipconfig /all | find /i "IP Address"

If vista then cmd /k ipconfig /all | find /i "IPv4 Address"

well one of the private trackers i use listed it as highly recommended, and it actually allows me to upload/download lol

Edit: The reasoning at the site it due to their new source code, it may be just that site, but I tried it regardless.

Edit 2: Also in regard to the security holes, should I be worried? Or are those securities what are letting me connect or what?

Archived