Annoying message boxes

jbrown

I'm using µTorrent 1.8.2 with wine under Linux which runs fine besides one very annoying issue.

When starting µTorrent, there continuously shows up a message that I don't have to pay for the program. I figured out that the message doesn't show up if I configure to look for new versions of the program. This was fine until there actual was a new version. Now I continuously get annoyed by a message of a new version of µTorrent.

Couldn't these messages only show up once or twice and then stop appearing?

How can I make stop them?

1.8.3 behaves the same way.

The Linux ppp interface I use for my internet connection doesn't provide a MAC address - as far as I know.

So you'll probably say bad luck. But couldn't these messages accept if no MAC address is available? If there constantly is no MAC address it's probably the same machine as the last time. At least the new version information should be independently from that and show up only once per new version. I'd be certainly not the only one appreciating this.

Besides the ppp0 (and a loopback) interface I only have a dummy0 private network ethernet interface. I set this interface's MAC address to a fixed value, but the messages kept showing up.

If I should try something else, please tell me.

Archived