uTorrent keeps restarting computer

star81

I would be downloading or seeding a torrent, when the computer would suddenly show a BSOD, and then restarts my computer. The BSOD varies, sometimes it's driver irql not less or equal, sometimes bugcode usb driver. And the restarting time varies, sometimes it would restart 10 minutes after I am running uTorrent, sometimes half an hour. I've already disabled DHT and lowered my global number of connections.

I am using a Scientific Atlanta DPX2100 cable modem, and it has a USB and Ethernet port. I am connecting to the internet with a USB cable right now and I think that is what's causing the problem. I'm trying to connect with Ethernet cable, but it says it has limited or no connectivity, and I don't know how to fix it. Any help would be great, thanks!

utorrent is a mess. I've had to completely eliminate it from my system. It crashes my computer.

I've gone as far as deleting registry entries. I found an article that pinpoints utorrent at

"http://news.softpedia.com/news/Highly-Critical-Bug-in-uTorrent-and-BitTorrent-Clients-Discovered-91818.shtml" entitled "Highly Critical Bug in uTorrent and BitTorrent Clients Discovered".

It states there is a stable version "uTorrent 1.8 Stable" but I had the same problems after installing it.

Unless someone has a solution this is the end for utorrent on my system.

BSOD means you either have driver issues or your system just plain SUCKS.

star81: USB networking tends to suck, direct to cable modem being the worst I've seen. Try powercycling the modem after hooking up the Ethernet cable, that might work.

DownBeach: Your article is from 2008, and you can plainly see on Secunia that the issues have been resolved. Be sure to use 1.8.3 and post the files in C:\Minidump to mediafire.

I took avg off and put avast and spybot on and uninstalled utorrent and registry entries. The only problem I still have is ms updates will not work after rolled back sp3 to sp2 and back to sp3. I think I fixed it with C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce but I have not tried it yet.

I'll read the Secunia papers for a solution.

"The Secunia advisory notes that "the vulnerability is caused due to a boundary error in the processing of '.torrent' files". An attacker could exploit this by getting the users to open a .torrent file which contains a very long "created by" field. Mr. Kidd has explained in his paper that the stack overflow occurs when uTorrent calls the mscvrt.dll!wcscat() function. He has isolated the code responsible and presented a proof-of-concept exploit for it."

Archived