µTorrent 2.0 beta 17539

Firon

uTorrent 2.0 beta is great! If only the following problems can be fixed.

Download has gone waayy up (from 20kB/s to 300kB/s), but upload speed never goes above 30kB/s for some reason.

Download speed goes to 4.5kB/s even when I'm not downloading anything, compared to at most 1.5kB/s for version 1.8.x

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

since 1.8.3 (and till the latest 2.1), uTorrent is doing some kind of LDP/PEX on all available interfaces even if those options are strictly disabled in settings, so polluting a swarm with unneeded "external"-like peers and eating an expensive internet traffic if it's byte-charged.

this makes 1.8.3+ completely unusable on private LAN-trackers, people on them are massively falling back to 1.8.2 or lower, and there is even a tendency to ban 1.8.3+ on such trackers for saving their residents from such problems.

i've reported (and not just me, as search says) this bad behavior in "troubleshouting" several times (feared to give links again, because one brainless moderator definitely "loves" me much more than others :D), but all of them was just leaved without the worthy answer.

is there any plans to fix this problem in upcoming 2.0 release, or 1.8.2 will still a local-trackers-people destiny?

I just read over some of his previous posts... On the off-chance this guy can get back on to at least read posts:

BitTorrent was not designed to be used in the manner you are intending. Please stop trying to break/subvert the standard/protocol. It makes people who want wider acceptance of Peer-to-peer distribution sad (like me). =(

Zarggg, you are not right. I have noticed that problem also, and it has no anything common with standard or protocol, no other BitTorrent client does like this - only µT, аnd only the latest versions. BTW, it is the one of the reasons for increased overhead traffic in them, which was many times speaked about above.

Anyhow, this guys just asking for it to be tunable (not hardcoded), and he is right - any program must work as user needs, not vice versa.

ccw said, "When ram cache is over 1800 MB, it suffers from not responding."

The problem is, that's 1800 MB ram used by the cache...but doesn't count the ram uTorrent is using to keep track of everything in the cache...nor does it count uTorrent's other ram use. If you have a lot of torrents loaded (like 20+), uTorrent could still exceed 2 GB ram usage and crash.

Mechanically it will save the harddrives some work when it doesnt have to write and read in random in thousands of places at the same time.

I've been using 1536 MB for cache since the first time it was possible to set it. I ran in to trouble when the program hit 2+ GB so I have now reduced it to 1280 MB. Works great.

Saves alot of writes and also saves quite alot of reads. With my slow 6/1 Mbit connection I now have this stats for read/writes:

From cache: ~1 million and 6/s

From file: ~300k and 0-1/s

To cache: ~4 million

To file: 44 000

These figures was at least tenfold bigger when I was using 100/10 Mbit where I was almost always seeding at max 24/7.

This is a huge saving on the mechanical parts that doesn't have to work as hard and much anymore.

Sure the drives can handle this strain, but it also reduces noise which is nice for us having the computer on 24/7 in the bedroom.

Switeck: So are the the Setup/Speed Guide presets going to need fixing again because of that? Currently I notice a discrepency anyway.. I use the preset for 1 mbit and Save & Close, and then I reopen the dialog and it has my current settings pegged as "737.28 kbit/s"

Archived