! Torrent Status in Detailed Info

Hi,

Hmm... it doesn't seem like anyone has mentioned this yet, very odd.

I would like to request that the torrent's status be added to the general tab in the detailed info block.

I have my columns set up nicely but when there's an error on a torrent (disk space, etc.) it only shows a little of the information in the status column. For example, right now one of my torrents says "Error: The file o...". I would have to resize the column to view the error and then try to get it back to the size it was previously (not the easiest thing with my mouse).

It would be good if the status were available in the detailed info block so that we can see the entire error message without having to mess around with the column sizings.

Thanks a lot.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Tooltips already pop up when you hover the mouse over a listview item that's cut off, but they disappear after a certain time out so you won't be able to properly read an error message that's long or has technical details.

I'm still requesting this; 1.7ß doesn't have it. It should be in the General section; and it's only one line, so it wouldn't take that much space—it could go between Created On and Comment.

You know, the hotkeys that allow you to quickly and easily show or hide various UI aspects makes the space issue moot.

What exactly is "Web Seeds" anyway? I've never seen it anything but empty. Does it really need a whole line to itself? What about the tracker details? "Update In" could be placed on a line with one of the others.

Web seeds displays a comma-separated list of... web seeds :P Since URLs can get pretty long all by themselves, and each torrent can make use of multiple web seeds, I'd say "yes, it really needs a whole line to itself" :P

@Smoovious: IMHO, if they were any closer, I think they'd end up looking too cramped :\

The headers could be reduced in size. They are already differentiated by means of a different background color and being bold, so being large as well is just redundant.

Unbolding it would, IMHO, make it ugly and un-header-like, even with the different background color. Making it smaller, I'm personally not so crazy about, but that would be a tolerable change.

In the end, I think the current design for the General tab makes decently effective use of whitespace (though it might cause things to take more space than is desirable for some people, I suppose). The only (extremely minor) weakness I can see in it is that what's shown isn't configurable, but that's not something I worry/care about :P

@Smoovious: IMHO, if they were any closer, I think they'd end up looking too cramped :\

I'd take looking cramped over looking unneccesarily double-spaced any day.

The information it is showing, doesn't need to use as much vertical space as it does.

-- Smoovious

• 8 months later...

I just saw the layout for 1.8 and it is pretty good. I like that the detailed info has been split up into two tabs: Transfer (info that changes) and General (info that does not change).

That's good, but the Status info should be placed in the Transfer pane for the same reasons as above, especially now that there is space. It should be placed at the bottom the way that the comment field is in the General pane.

µTorrent saves the columns layouts that you set, so it should not force you to have to resize them just to read an error message.

Synetech pointed out the obvious but what I hadn't realized.. Transfer is always current... i.e. updated. And General is the stuff bound in the torrent file, size, piecesize, hash, comment i.e. the torrent vitals. As I tell people, you'll get used to it. I did :D so.. what other stuff could be put into the Transfer tab... i.e. is applicable per-torrent?

icleolion has proposed these changes to Ryan (which Ryan seems to sorta cursorily-approve of):

On General tab may I suggest moving Hash to the right of Created On (they are related in the same way Total Size and Pieces are), and then put Added On (to the left) and Completed On (to the right) above the Comment line. I would prefer to see that information there rather than taking up precious column space in the main listview.

On the Transfer tab, I would prefer a 2 column layout as well to match the General Tab (2 column layout also gives more room to use the category list on the left). Move Wasted to below Down Limit (Wasted is related to Downloaded Data), and move Share Ratio to below Up Limit (Share Ratio is important to those who like to seed, ergo Upload). Then move Seeds to above/below Time Elapsed, and Peers to above/below Remaining."

I guess that'd be adding stuff to the General tab, not the Transfer tab, so it doesn't really answer your question. I myself don't have all that many suggestions regarding these tabs because I rarely look at them ;D

Archived