Install for all users

kAlvaro

I've running uTorrent 1.8.2 for a while under UAC-enabled Windows Vista Home Premium (Spanish version). The computer has two users (let's call them Alvaro and Monica), both belong to the Administrators group and the program is used by both of them (though, normally, not at the same time). I hadn't experienced any problem until I upgraded to 1.8.3 (via the auto-update feature), when the Internet connection would start slowing down until you could hardly use a web browser. While troubleshooting, I realized I had two separate copies of the software:

- C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe

- C:\Users\Monica\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe

To clean up things, I decided to remove both copies through Windows Control Panel (the first showed up when logged as Alvaro and the second when logged as Monica), download the full installer for 1.8.3 and install again. Now I only have one copy (C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe) and it runs fine as Alvaro. However, when I log in as Monica:

1. I cannot see any of the program icons (they're all under C:\Users\alvaro\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu)

2. The program doesn't show in the "Programs and features" section of the control panel.

3. If I run "C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe" I get the installer. Every time. Even if I complete all the steps.

4. The installer is in English (when running as Alvaro it is in Spanish).

Is it necessary to install a separate copy of the software (in a separate directory) for each user?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:

I've just found the announcement for 2.0 beta 16126. The changelog includes this:

Change: if selected, install start menu and desktop shortcuts to all users instead of only current user

Apparently, multi-user operating systems are not supported in 1.8 :/ I guess that, unless I find a better idea, I'll just maintain two copies of the software.

Archived