1.1.4 stops internet/not reporting seeds properly/slow ups

lament

so with 1.1.4 running and downloading, I can't connect to any websites.

the moment I close it out, I'm back to normal.

anyone else getting this problem?

second issue - I'm on a torrent that has 22 seeders, and it's showing 16/16.

then it goes up to 18/18.

??

I just confirmed this by going back to 1.1.3 and it's showing the proper number of seeders.

and I thought I'd be able to use the internet again in going back to 1.1.3, but now it's having the same problem as 1.1.4 was having.

I deleted the settings in the App Data folder, but that didn't help.

so now.. I can't use 1.1.3 or 1.1.4 because it kills the internet connectivity.

I'm using 1.1.4 on XP Pro SP2 with a patched tcp/ip stack. I'm also using NOD32 (No select errors yet). I'm not having any troubles with internet conectivity atm.

I'm experiencing the incorrect seed numbers though. However, correct numbers are shown down the bottom for the torrent that has focus.

Ive tested with 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 and with both versions my internet connection dies, not instantly.. but tooo often.. very unstable.

Im connecting to my home through a VPN tunnel with Remote Desktop. With BitComet it works perfectly.. I hate bringing BitComet up.. but i guess i have to... since well it works with it and not with µtorrent.

Im running Windows XP Pro with SP2 and the Tcp/ip patch installed. I have a Dlink DI-604 router. Portforwarding is configured (the router supports upnp, but ive disabled it)

please help

:(

i remember reading from either vurlix or ludde that you don't need to patch the TCP/IP connections..

update:

so I jumped back to 1.1.4 without changing anything, and now there's no internet connectivity issues anymore. my settings:

utorrent_connections.gif

however...new problem

After downloading a torrent, with the same 1.5 ratio setup that I had before, the torrent just stops and the ratio goes to inf.

utorrent_seeding.gif

I just fired up 1.1.4 last night and it performed quite nicely. It respected upload/download limits and handled multiple torrents without any network degradation. Nice work :D

I noticed two problems. One is that the display of numbers of seeders and peers is different between the torrent line in the upper display and the detailed information when the same torrent is selected in the lower display. This seems pretty minor.

A second problem may be due to bad tracker or other client behavior, but maybe not, so I'll report it. I ran uTorrent overnight and stopped two torrents after achieving a ratio of around three. I then closed uTorrent. For the past hour, I have been getting continual hits on the uTorrent port on my firewall, which are reported since there are no listening applications on that port. The port is forwarded on the router and opened for both TCP/UDP on the software firewall. Restarting uTorrent fixes the problem, of course. However, once I have uploaded 2X-3X what I've downloaded on each torrent, I'd like to close down this application as a good general security precaution. Thus, I'm curious how to track down the reason for the continual connection attempts long after I've shut down my sharing of a torrent.

The question is, has uTorrent correctly informed the trackers to take me out of the list of available seeders? I know it is intended to, but I can't tell if this has happened or not. It could well be that the trackers and/or other BT clients did not handle the announcement correctly, though it is also possible that uTorrent did not make the announcement correctly.

Any ideas how to track this down?

After downloading a torrent, with the same 1.5 ratio setup that I had before, the torrent just stops and the ratio goes to inf.

utorrent_seeding.gif

It looks like the client is obeying the settings :?. You have selected prioritize torrent with all of the following conditions. This means that unless the ratio is less than 150% and the number of seeders drops below one (no seeders), the torrent will not be prioritized. The speed setting for non-prioritized torrents is zero, which means to stop them. These settings would be expected to shut down the torrent at the end of the download if your ratio reaches 150% or if any seeders remain (most likely case).

I think getting closer to default selections would help. Try setting prioritize torrents to any of the following instead of all and set the minimum number of seeds to 5 instead of one. This way, the torrent will stay prioritized whenever your ratio is less than 150% or there are less than five seeders. When your ratio is better than 150% and there at least five seeders remaining, the torrent becomes non-prioritized and will stop. If you want it to keep going at this point, then either enter a non-zero value for non-prioritized torrent speed limit or uncheck that box altogether.

HTH :D

Had a similar issue. I used to cap my upload to 78 kB/s (out of a max of 12 on my connection) and everything would go fine, could get emails and browse the web. In v1.1.4, i need to use 6 in order to get that performance, as 7+ kills any bandwidth to anything else. Aside from that, i do get superb speeds from v1.1.4, even more then previous versions (and i wasn't any of those who had speed issues).

I also have the problem where internet connectivity just dies and I need to reset the router (netgear rp614v2). I tried low cpu usage and slower peer connect and it seems to have helped a little but one thing I have noticed; it seems that utorrents requires more open local ports (with a fast open/close rate) for approximately the same amount of peers than other BT clients (according to the software firewall). Though, I'm not sure why this would affect the hardware router entirely... I've tried making this comp the DMZ and the like (turned off upnp etc) but not series of combinations seem to have provided the solution as of yet. Considering that the other clients that I have used have been set up to connect to even more peers by default, I can't really pinpoint the problem outright.. granted, it's pretty unscientific. :P

Hrm, I guess I also have the seed report issue but that wasn't as major of a concern as having to reset the router every once in awhile.

yes i get the internet problem too, i will try using the settings posted. also it seems my dl speeds on azareus are much better, i just dont like the java memory hog......

edit: no theres something else seriously faulty here..... i paused all torrents and it still bogged down all other internet activity to a hault, once i kill utorrent everything goes back to normal.... wierd..... the problems started with the dl of the new version, the old one didnt have the same problem.

I used to have these issues with BitComet.. they went away when I switched to uTorrent.

btw, to whoever has been mentioning the different number of seeders/peers in the listview in the general tab, it's intentional. The one on the listview is the amount of seeders/peers in the internal memory, and the one in the General tab is the total in the swarm.

In the next version it's going to be changed so that both are included in the listview...

I also have the problem where internet connectivity just dies and I need to reset the router (netgear rp614v2).

same model as me, and when router crashes, I cant even ping it, and all traffic dies.

problems started with 1.1.4

utorrent 1.1.4 - the router killer :shock:

btw, to whoever has been mentioning the different number of seeders/peers in the listview in the general tab, it's intentional. The one on the listview is the amount of seeders/peers in the internal memory, and the one in the General tab is the total in the swarm.

Sorry for being a little dense, but could you explain the meaning of the two numbers for seeds/peers in the list view versus the general tab? For example, the list view for a particular torrent shows:

seeds 7(14)

peers 7(13)

while the detail view shows:

Seeds: 7 connected (7 in swarm)

Peers: 7 connected (20 in swarm).

When the download finished and I started seeding, the list view shows:

seeds: 0(16)

peers: 7(11)

and the detail view shows:

Seeds: 0 connected (0 in swarm)

Peers: 7 connected (26 in swarm).

-------------------------------

There are a couple of other things I've been curious about (this program gives great real-time statistics):

What is the meaning of Peer Download Rate in the Peers tab?

What is a snubbed client (S flag)? Some of them have significant upload and download byte counts, so we have exchanged data with them.

Thanks for this useful application!

uTorrent is also killing my internet connection as well.

It also won't download any torrents from anywhere. Or if it does, they go verrrrrryyyy slowly.

So basically right now my U/l is 0 and my D/l is 10k/s and my internet is slowed to a crawl.

I have no idea what a patched tcp/ip stack is.

I would try one of the three following, or a combination of some:

1. lower your upload cap in uTorrent by 1kB, and see if it still kills traffic. This one worked for me.

2. check the 'Connect To Peers Slower' feature in the advanced settings page.

3. check the 'Lower CPU Usage' feature in the advanced settings page.

Hope this helps.

Check this: Start -> Run -> eventvwr

Application Log, sort by Event ID, and look for entries with 4226. If there are lots of those, then this was your problem, the TCPIP Half-open connection limit in XP SP2. I believe that option bypasses that by connecting slower, meaning less concurrent half-open connections being made.

Archived