Random port by default

michkol

why doesn't utorrent randomize the ports automatically on a preset time interval?

the ISPs have software that throttle the band on the ports with high activity - so why utorrent does not come with the counter-solution - randomize automatically?

there could be some problems for leeching (the option should be unchecked at this time), but I see no problem when seeding

• 3 weeks later...

i also support minesweeper's request

allot of us are getting throttled based on ports, our only options are to manually

1. stop torrent

2. change port

3. start torrent

my ISP throttles the port within the hour, and i wake up the next morning with 6 hours of throttled download

based on what study have you come up with the elaborate assumption that it takes hours to establish new connections? my connections reestablish within a minute of manually changing ports

My old ISP used to do the same... I just used to limit my download speed to 256KB/s down, and that used to solve it...

Granted it takes longer to get things down, but if you prioritise things for downloading, doesnt take that long to do...

Failing that, another ISP who doesnt throttle? My new one doesnt (Im in the UK)...

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm a little confused by the answer that says (paraphrased):

Randomize the port on each start but don't set it as the default.

Does that mean I should:

Manually click on the 'random port' button at each start?

And that I should not check the (default?) 'randomize port each start' box?

My random port right now is 11990, altho I don't know if it's that way at each start.

My download speeds have gone from lightning fast to sluggish beyond belief but

I think that has to do with my recent decision to go with a proxy service rather

than throttling.

That said, any thoughts on Google's http://www.measurementlab.net/ tool that

allegedly shows whether or not your ISP is throttling or blocking p2p traffic?

Thx,

K

Archived