Separated Downloads from Uploads

inoxllor

I want the separation because it would give the GUI a cleaner look, in my opinion.

At least we're all entitled to our opinions. :)

This grouping, to me, would be quite ugly and make things even MORE complicated. I strive for functionality - and the client is functional. It doesn't need this stuff sorted out in seperate viewspaces, tabs, or anything like that.

It works as is. That's my opinion. :)

Check out this screenshot I modified with MS Paint ;)

What do you guys think about that idea?

This is exactly what we *don't* need. Makes things very ugly and unusable. Especially if a branch is collapsed - then where do you see the torrent? It totally complicates the matter. It's a TORRENT...is it so hard to manage? (no offense whatsoever to your idea, just defending my view)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like that options, and every one that doesn't would probably be leechers, who doesn't seed enough ... I want to seperate my seedsssssss, because I seed a lot, and I don't want my download list "bloated", as some say, with my numerous seedsssss. That way I can monitor my download more easily, I usually have 2 or 3 download while having 10 or more file in seed, they down upload all at the same time, they get on and off themself using a plugin in AZ wich say, I want to seed up to 1.5 or until there's at least 2 seed. If the seed list become below 2 I kick in to help create an other seed. This is a great feature what you release YOUR own stuff... Keep in mind that it's not everybody that only download, someone has to put it on the first place on the tracker.

My two cents!

I just copy my post from here: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?p=7248&highlight=#7248

Yes, I'd like to see this too.

Not just because you could easily distinguish seeding from downloading, but you could (perhaps) modify the coloums separately.

e.g.: for seeded torrents I do not need to know the download speed, the percentage, the estimated time.

For download I don't need the uploaded amount of data, only the ratio, and so on...

So i am not a requesting this because I can't see witch torrents are stopped, or downloading, rather I don't need the same info for the seeded and downloaded torrents.

I too would like something different from the current jumbled single-window mess. At first I was leaning towards a dual-window approach, but I think tabs might be more palatable, especially since it wouldn't interfere with the details window at the bottom.

And note: Just because Azureus has a feature, does not mean it's good, nor does it mean it's BAD! Trying to say a suggestion is wrong simply because it's like Azureus is just asinine.

- Celtman

i'd like a seeding window

and yes i came from azureus

i keep my seeding stuff sorted by seeds and my downlods sorted by how many mb's are left (which i can't do i utorrent unfortunately)

if there's 0-4 seeds on a torrent and i've got it i always jump in

5-10 is iffy for me but greater than that i ignore as my upload is limited anyway

of course seeds and peers are sorted different from azureus anyway

azureus sorts by how many there are, whereas utorrent sorts by how many are connected to you

I strongly vote against this as there i can see absolutly no gain from this feature what so ever. It doesnt help organizing one bit.

I Agree! Dont include this feature, it's useless.

However it would be nice if you could sort your download/upload into folders. And then you could do a "Uploads" folder if you want.

But I would use it to sort my torrent depending on what I'm downloading or uploading. Or if you dont like it/need the folders att all, you wouldn't make any.

That would be the best idea, beacause it will fit the most users, and it seems relativly easy to implement.

Also Urkburk's idea seems very reasonable. (If it's done turn-off-able)

I don't see what the big deal is. The status icon changes when it's seeding. However, maybe change the way the files are organized? We could have seeded files moved all to the top of the list or the bottom, so they'd be easier to pick out if you have a lot of torrents running? I think a separate tab or window is overkill, but then, I'm happy with the way it is already.

I don't see what the big deal is. The status icon changes when it's seeding. However, maybe change the way the files are organized? We could have seeded files moved all to the top of the list or the bottom, so they'd be easier to pick out if you have a lot of torrents running? I think a separate tab or window is overkill, but then, I'm happy with the way it is already.

The big deal is to make the gui more organized if you have alot of torrents.

Lets say you are keeping 20 torrents (som are queing, some are running, some are saved) If you are running with a low resolution, then it's very annoying to scroll trough the list to get a overview of your torrents.

I think something should be done to keep torrents more organized. 'Folders' or as I wrote before, Urkburks suggestion, with collapsible "threads" looked very nice, and shouldn't be too hard to implement.

And as long there is an option to turn it off, I don't see any reason to complain, it wont make the application significally bigger.

That's totally understandable.

But the point is: There are people out there who never have more than 4-5 torrents in their list, and if you optimise the UI for many torrents, the UI will be _less_ organised for for those people.

Oh, it'd still be organized, just unnecessarily cluttered. The tree idea isn't altogether bad, and any kind of modification of this sort would be fine as long as it's optional, but any addition of function to the application is bound to add to the filesize, even if just a little.

What I don't support is adding tabs, windows, panes, etc., I think that's overkill. But that's just my opinion, and maybe I'm alone.

I still like my suggestion better that seeds simply be moved to a separate location, either the top or bottom of the list, instead of being mixed with the rest. Actually, shouldn't it already separate them like that if you sort by status?...

That's totally understandable.

But the point is: There are people out there who never have more than 4-5 torrents in their list, and if you optimise the UI for many torrents, the UI will be _less_ organised for for those people.

That's why there should be an option to turn it off. There is actually a lot of people that are using utorrent just because they are able to run alot of torrent without using so much resources. (Seeders for example, like me..)

I have a good connection and often seed around 10-15 torrents at the same time. And often I have to overlook my torrents to manage priority and such things, and then it would be alot easier if the torents where categorized.

the reason i liked the split rows in azureus was to easily see at a glance when torrents had completed and are only seeding. you have to look more carefully at the status icon in utorrent than a slight glance, even if you sort by #, when you have a lot of torrents. at least for the way my desktop is arranged and i know for many others.

what i think would be great is color coding torrent info (each colum), not just the status icon. e.g.: seeding torrent info is all green, leeching all blue. you could choose to highlight black/white text with color or to just change the actual text color. perhaps even add other variables, such as if the ratio is under 50%, it's red, etc. all this would be optional and you could pick your own colors or none at all for each category.

this would better help people be organized without a split screen, imho, and should be easy to implement without any real GUI redesign.

ps - i would also like the option to turn off Detailed Info and only get it when you right-click a torrent (or optionally double-click). this would further simplify the interface and make it cleaner for torrent navigation. although i'm sure there are already threads on this.

thanks for considering

Maybe progress bars in the list view would be a good idea.

TorrentStorm had them, and I must admit I miss them a little, they're very good at showing how much the torrents have progressed at a glance.

Maybe it's also a good idea to not show the kb/s speeds on stopped torrents.

• 2 months later...

Archived