trouble seeding torrents, but port is forwarded properly

djmixmastapete

i'm having some issues with getting my files to upload. when i click on the icon to see if the port is forwarded properly it says that it is, i have also ran a speed test and set my settings according to the results of the test. but there isn't a green light saying that i am connected, and i havent been able to upload anything in a very long time. im using the latest version of utorrent, and i'm running windows vista.

Yea, its enabled. it still doesnt show an exclamation point or anything indicating that it the port is forwarded, but if i run that port forwarding test through the speed guide menu it says that it is forwarded properly. i have a few hundred seeds on my screen, but they all have the red arrow pointing up.

Ok the settings say utorrent is allowed, im using vista. i used to live in ny, and i could download no problem, then i moved houses and the house had a different isp. Well that is when i started to have all the problems. So now that i have moved back to texas where i originally started using torrents, it is still giving me trouble. Although i could start a download from that second link that was provided.

Ok, so i ran multiple speed tests and averaged about 420k upload speed so i have it set at xx/384k. My upload limit is at 35 kb/s, connections per torrent 80, upload 4, connections global 230, 2 max actives dls, 3 max active torrents, Upnp port mapping is unchecked, natpmp is unchecked, windows firewall exception is checked, randomize each port is unchecked. The dht setting is unchecked, dht for new torrents unchecked, enable peer discovery checked, ask tracker for scrape info yes, enable peer exchange yes, protocol encryption is enabled. As far as the settings with asterisk next to them i dont see any with that option. but with the dht the private torrents i use they ask us to disable dht and dht for new torrents

but with the dht the private torrents i use they ask us to disable dht and dht for new torrents

Private tracker stupidity.

Just for clarification, when you look at the advanced section in preferences and see all those settings, if you see a * next to any of the values that means it has been changed.

Note to others: RR in Texas = Time Warner Cable :(

TWC is NOT a friendly ISP. Don't know if they are actively causing problems (yet) though so I left that note for the more knowledgeable in that particular area.

Leaving DHT off is ok, 'specially as a troubleshooting step. Private tracker admins are almost always retarded though and recommend keeping it off. Are you using any firewall software? See anything on the Logger tab? What kind of activity did you see on DWK's test torrents?

I am using windows firewall, but i tried turning it off and it did nothing. I also have norton antivirus but it doesnt indicate anywhere that im using a norton firewall. As far as the logger tab goes i dont see anything other than "IPv6 was installed". The test torrent connects and starts to download no problem. Im averaging 1 mb/s actually. and the green circle with the check is now there and says everything is ok. but all the other torrents are still dead.

Indeed, I tend to suspect TWC of foul play as well. I've noticed my speeds are generally capped around 300 KiB/s, even on known-to-be-fast torrents. And this happens globally, so that if I'm downloading at 300 KiB/s on one torrent, and I start another fast one, the bandwidth gets "stolen" from the first torrent so that the global speed remains around 300 KiB/s. Speed graphs sometimes look suspicious too (too many odd jags).

At the very least, they aren't being barbaric about it as Comcast was.

Makes me glad I'm not in NYC still and using them XD | Btw like your new title ;)

djmix~: Norton isn't a very good program. Personally I would remove it completely, though if you so wish you could only remove it temporarily and see what happens. You may even see a general improvement in your computer itself. Use this removal tool from Symantec (since they're too dumb to make a proper uninstaller): http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Also, the torrents that are "dead", are these the ones with the non-working trackers? What are the peer/seed counts? And are these all from private trackers?

Posted late last night.

i guess i shouldnt have said "dead," yea these are the ones with non working trackers. the peer/seed counts are good, and yes they are all from a private tracker. I went to the torrent site i use and tried to download anything off the new top 10 list because i knew they would be download-able and it still just turns red and never connects and starts.

Ok so today i checked and out of no where utorrent is working and all my torrents are uploading and i can download again. haha wtf! Anyone tell me whats going on??

Archived