Trouble with new Verizon Fios 50/20

Jyosua

I've tested my download speeds for direct downloads, and I can easily get up to 5-6 Megabytes per second on direct downloads, yet when I torrent, I can only seem to get up to about 800 kb/s, yet my Upload speed can get up to 2.1 Megabytes per second. In essence I end up uploaded Many, many times more than I download before the torrent even finishes downloading. Anyone have any clue as to why this might be happening? If you need screens of my settings, just ask. Oh and it's not an NAT problem by the way.

Doesn't seem to me like there's anything too particularly wrong about your settings. Perhaps you can try Switeck's list of alternate settings, but I tend to doubt it'll make that much of a difference on higher-end connections.

Chances are, it's just that very few people have the upload capacity to max out your connection's massive download rate. Be glad to know that your connection is indeed rather godly (at least by US standards). At the very least, if you upload more, BitTorrent's design would mean that you will likely end up as a preferred peer for most other peers, meaning other peers will prioritize your requests for data over other peers' (theoretically, anyway).

A slight increase, but not much. I've tried lowering the upload to 1 Megabyte per second to see what happens, and my download speed for torrents still caps out at around 800 kilobytes to a meg.

Also, my router/fios modem isn't a Belkin, Linksys, or D-Link.

Verizon provides customers with Actiontec routers, which aren't that horrible. My cousin has Verizon FIOS, uses the supplied router, and it works perfectly fine for him with regards to speed. I'm still chalking this up as luck-of-the-draw. It's not always so easy to max out even 10mbit/s with BitTorrent, to say nothing of 50mbit/s.

Archived