700 kB/s with Orange, 25 kB/s with BT :(

theguitarguy

Hey guys,

Need some help if possible.

I was with Orange Broadband for 2 years and was getting download speeds using utorrent of up to 700 kB/s constantly.

Two weeks ago I changed to BT broadband, and now I'm getting download speeds of 150 kB/s max but it usually settles at 25 kB/s :(

Anyone have any advice ?

Cheers in advance

I have, but I have a problem with the technical talk everyone who ''knows'' about this type of thing uses. I dont understand it all.

I downloaded utorrent with Orange BB, opened it, and was getting 700 kB/s, I was just lucky I guess. Now My speeds suck, and I havent a clue. I'm not technically minded, sorry.

Switeck, I've followed your advice/links but still no improvement.

I've got off the telephone with BT are insisting they are not throttling anything during off peak.

My line speed has improved since I changed to BT by around 0.5mb , but my torrent speed is a shadow of what it was. Could it be down to router/hub settings or could it lie with utorrent settings ?

BT Central and almost all the major ISPs in the UK are being "strongly encouraged" (forced) by the government to reduce "piracy" by >70%. They tell you it's not throttled during non-peak hours...they lie. It is being restricted. It seems to even be disrupted -- as I've heard reports of people on torrents that SHOULD have 50+ peers/seeds connecting to them that can't get 10.

Changing ISPs probably will not help for long.

Soon it will be raining everywhere.

When a friend with BT is getting over 700 kB/s with 100GB monthly allowance and I was getting 700 kB/s with 40GB monthly allowance, it didnt seem like much of a risk. I still find it hard to believe that its down to BT why I'm getting 25 kB/s, especially when he's getting over 700 kB/s using the same service/package.

I just tested to see if BT were throttling me, and these were the results. If they are not throttling me off peak, which BT insists and this test seem to signify, can someone please help out.

RESULTS -

Glasnost: Test if your ISP is manipulating BitTorrent traffic

Results for your host (ISP):

Is BitTorrent traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6883) throttled?

The BitTorrent download worked. Our tool was successful in downloading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved at least 249 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved at most 253 Kbps. You can find details here.

Is BitTorrent traffic on a non-standard BitTorrent port (10011) throttled?

The BitTorrent download worked. Our tool was successful in downloading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved at least 247 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved at most 253 Kbps. You can find details here.

Is TCP traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6883) throttled?

There's no indication that your ISP rate limits all downloads at port 6883. In our test, a TCP download on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 253 Kbps while a TCP download on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 247 Kbps. You can find details here.

Is this that bad, during peak hours ?

555860293.png

Another thing.

Why on the bottom of Utorrent am I getting a green circle saying my I'm getting incoming connections, but five minutes later it's going to no incoming connection, and five minutes later its back green again, and that repeats over and over ?

Even when it says I've no incoming connections, when I click on test port, the web page comes up with the green circle saying its working as it should be ?

I have spoken to two different people regarding the download speed difference and questioned their throtting terms and they have said, ''we are not throttling you, you have the best line speed possible in your area, and we cant give any advice or support regarding p2p issues''.

So I came on here to ask.

Archived