Problem with initial seeding

naugas

I started seeding a torrent in normal mode, and after a while switched to initial seeding. The torrent is 580 MB large, and now when I looked at it I have uploaded 1.1 GB, and availability is only 47%, and rising very very slowly. Upload speed is normal, 25 KB/s. There are a few hundred peers on the torrent. Clearly something is wrong. Using 1.8.4 16301.

Switching to Bittornado super seed for comparison, and availability is rising as upload progresses in a normal way.

(When looking at the peers details, it seems to me like utorrent is not uploading full pieces, 1 MB. It uploads a few hundred KB, and then switches to a new peer. The list is full with peers with only a few hundred KB's uploaded to. I have no idea if this have anything to do with it or even if it ain't normal, it's just something I noticed right now.)

My settings is upload rate 25, global max 230, max per torrent 80, upload slots per torrent 4 with use additional slots if upload <90%, and bt.connect_speed at 10.

edit: I changed the bandwidth settings according to http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=58404 , I have to see if that helps. Still, bittornado uploaded to I think 10-12 peers simultaneously, at only 1-3 KB/s per peer, and availability went up quite fast, from 47 to 62 in an hour, compared to utorrent's 47% in almost 30 hours.

Last I remember, it was said that µTorrent's implementation of super/initial seeding was sub-optimal. I'm not sure if that's still the case, but I suspect as much. If there's one client that definitely has super seeding done right, it'd have to be BitTornado. Not sure what's going on with tweaking of initial seeding, but I'll run it by the devs again.

Archived