Install without ask toolbar

T3chWarrior

• 4 weeks later...

Except for every machine I've ever installed uTorrent on (at least a dozen) unchecking the box about the toolbar does exactly NOTHING and the toolbar still gets installed.

As far as the obvious questions of of the uTorrent guys asked "steps to reproduce...... um install utorrent and uncheck box".

There is no way such a blatent bug could slip through and I would be more inclined to think it was wink wink "whoops we did it by accident" wink wink.

Darryl

• 4 weeks later...

I have windows vista 32 bit. When I get to the ask.com toolbar page of the setup, unchecking the three boxes prevents the installation from continuing. With the three boxes unchecked clicking on Install does nothing. it would be better if there was a skip button that advances past that screen. Not sure if this is a bug or if it is intentionally forcing people to set their homepage and search provider, to ask.com and installing the toolbar.

unticking all the 3 check boxes prevents the installation from proceeding further. what's an alternative to utorrent? this sucks. i've been using utorrent for the past several years since it was first available.

btw, I'm on Win7 RC build 7100 64bit

Looking for an alternative just because of a completely optional and bypassable toolbar (as you yourself have verified)? You're already past the toolbar at this point -- not like it's going to come back and install itself later.

If you really can't stand it, here's a list of other clients at your disposal.

Well, it was a legitimate search for an alternative.

Here is an update on my install: I was merely trying to update uTorrent using the auto-update feature. It appeared the update was outdated than what is currently listed on the site. the program attempted to update to 1.8.3...some build, I didn't get a chance to take the screenshot.

Anyway, in THAT specific build it---un ticking the askjeeves shit does NOT let you proceed further...as in, when you hit the "Install" button, it does NOTHING.

So, when I realized that I don't have the most current version, I downloaded it from the site. The funny thing now is that the installer DOESN'T ask about the toolbar. uTorrent installed fine, but I'm afraid of the adware being installed on my computer, although there are no indicators at this time that the adware was installed.

It's a shame for end-users. I understand the developers need to be rewarded for their excellent work on this software, but going the adware route is not an option for most people. A REASONABLY priced software will have exisiting fans of the software purchase a legal copy. my two cents

I've been trying to update as well, with the built-in updater, but when i unchecked the 3 boxes the installation does not continue. The last box says "i accept the license agreement and privacy policy and i want to install the ask.com toolbar" which in mho means "i accept the license agreement and privacy policy (of Utorrent) and want to install the ask.com toolbar" BUT I DON'T WANT THE TOOLBAR!

Since then Utorrent is unusable. Every time i start utorrent it wants to update.

And another thing; i think the administrators are quite rude.

A couple of months ago i asked a question about blocking certain peers, because in my opinion they only took and didn't give (having download rate to the max but upload rate to min)

The answer i got was "maybe they just don't want to share with you!" and the thread was closed, just like that, no explanation, nothing.

I thought maybe it's just me, but now i see i'm not the only one getting rude answers

"Looking for an alternative just because of a completely optional and bypassable toolbar (as you yourself have verified)? You're already past the toolbar at this point -- not like it's going to come back and install itself later.

If you really can't stand it, here's a list of other clients at your disposal."

I'm sorry but in mho moderators and admins should make sure users stay, not go.

I've been a happy user for some years but this treatment just makes me want to use another client. And that's just my 2 cents

And btw the toolbar is NOT bypassable and optional

1. Your request was rejected because you didn't (and apparently still don't) understand that you aren't the only person other peers are connected to. Banning other peers just because they don't seem to be uploading to you does nothing but potentially lower the swarm's total throughput, and in effect, does nothing but potentially harm the swarm. DWK did not say it as you paraphrased, and your paraphrasing takes a different meaning from his explanation -- yes, he did explain why the request was rejected.

2. I don't pretend to have any power or influence over other people's decisions. We've already laid out our side of the story for others to see. If they still won't listen, what else do you want us to do? Waste time by reiterating everything that they've been ignoring anyway? My position here isn't in PR or marketing, it's in answering support questions, and cutting to the chase works well on that front. Does that mean I want users to switch clients? Absolutely not. But I don't have any particular investment in making sure more people use µTorrent either (heck, I'm not even a BitTorrent employee, just a community volunteer). I'm of the belief that if µTorrent can do its own thing well, then the users will come.

And yes, the toolbar is optional -- I've tested and verified it various times myself. Want proof not from us? Look no further than the posts above by other users. Might it be an issue with UAC? Perhaps, but we can't tell if you don't mention your OS.

that first explanation would have been just fine. I'm not a computer geek as you might have noticed, but a little politeness goes long way and even volunteers should have peoples skills. I know that by default the end user is an idiot, but you don't have to treat the in-experienced user that way.

And if by UAC you mean "run as administrator" then yes Utorrent has full control, when the screen pops up i give access and nothing happens.

Using vista 32

By the way, i DO understand that i am not the only one in the swarm, i'm just no up to speed with administrator lingo. Seeing the difference in up or downloading rates between the different peers just got me annoyed because i have my rates equally high for both ends and not just for downloading.

I've asked the devs about UAC's interaction with the installer -- maybe they can look at it again to find any bugs with the install logic. There have, as far as I can tell, been some bugs in the past, so I wouldn't be surprised if some issues still remain that perhaps cause the installer to not continue.

That is indeed the version it's trying to update to.

And i realized you are right about the agreement. But still, it doesn't work....

I forgot to tell you that i also tried to install the latest version directly from your download section and the same thing happens, so i really don't understand where the problem lies....

Just as added information, i'm using the dutch version of utorrent. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it, just trying to give as much info as possible.

Again, thanx for the help

Hi there,

Today i installed windows 7 (32) and did a clean install of the last version of Utorrent and everything works like a charm.

This worked! Thank you so much. Installed perfectly.

Oh shoot, i didn't read until the end of the line..... sry

anyway here is the log. If you need me to, i can uninstall and do this again

Settings path: [C:\Users\Anita\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\]

SingleInstanceCheck: Entering

SingleInstanceCheck: Succeeded

INSTALLDEBUG: Chose Uninstall Key Path [C:\Program Files\uTorrent]

INSTALLDEBUG: FindInstallablePath Chose

path:[C:\Program Files\uTorrent]

INSTALLDEBUG: ConfirmInstallation installed revision[15772], current revision[16

970]

INSTALLDEBUG: InstallEverything() with flags [30079]

INSTALLDEBUG: Vista + Limited Privs detected

RunAsAdministrator: F:\eweka\utorrent-installertest.exe with params [ /PERFORMIN

STALL 30207 "C:\Program Files\uTorrent" 1326553678]

INSTALLDEBUG: Forked Vista install returned success

INSTALLDEBUG: InstallEverything succeeded; flags [30079]

GetBUndledURL: Found URL: , TYPE:

GetBundledURL: No URL found

INSTALLDEBUG: RunFrom succeeded

Settings path: [C:\Users\Anita\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\]

SingleInstanceCheck: Entering

SingleInstanceCheck: Succeeded

Version 1.8.4 (svn 16970)

Startup: Launching URL if it exists

GetBUndledURL: Found URL: , TYPE: